Bottom is situated 1½ miles S. S.E. of Athenry bounded on the N. by Boyhill, East by Loobruah, West by Tubberconnolly and Moutain South, and South by Kilconeeron Parish.
The Down Survey Map provides no record of this townland and indicates the map of the barony of Athenry was destroyed in 1711.
O Donavan’s Field Name Books provide various spellings of this townland: Bottom, Bottom B. S. Sketch Map, Bottom Barony Map, Bottom County Map, Bottom Vestry Book 1826.
According to the Griffith’s Valuation 1855, Burton Persse leased tenements to both Michael Kinneen and John Broderick. Burton Persse was leased land from John Bagwell. Michael Kinneen paid rent of £11-5-0 for 27 acres, 3 roods, and 33 perches of land, offices and a herd’s House. John Broderick paid £0-12-0 in tax for his land consisting of 2 acres, and 37 perches. Burton Persse’s land was comprised of 69 acres, 3 roods, and 23 perches. He paid £14-0-0 in tax. The total annual valuation of rateable property paid overall in Bottom was £25-17-0 for 100 acres, and 13 perches.
There is also no information of anyone living in this townland during the 1901 and 1911 censuses.
Add a comment about this page