Gortroe is in the Civil Parish of Athenry
Standard Name: Gortroe
Irish Form: Gort Ruadh
Translation: Red Field
Other forms of the Name: Gortruah
Gortroe is situated in the Barony of Athenry, two and a half miles South West of Athenry bounded on the North by Rathmorrissey, West by Derrydonnellmore, South by Greethill and East Cloghraun (Clorane)
Records from this source (1860’s) list Gortroe as the property of Lord Oranmore, containing 110 Statute acres, all arable. It is bounded on the North by the road from Athenry to Galway and on the West by a bye road. On the boundary of its south extremity is a caher or fort.
The townlands that share a border with Gortroe are:
The Down Survey (1641 pre-Cromwell; 1670 post Cromwell)
The map of this Barony was destroyed in 1711. No copies have, so far, come to light.
The Down Survey Name is Gortneside. The pre-Cromwell Owner was John Wall McUlick (Catholic), and the post-Cromwell Owner was Robert Blake (Protestant)
Griffith’s Valuation (1855) records the 2 occupiers as:
Frederick A Malcolmson 104 3 Roods 8 perches
Midland & Great Western Railway Co. 5 Acres 0 Roods 15 Perches
The total land area was 109 Acres 3 Roods 23 Perches
The rateable valuation of the land and buildings was £34. 18 shillings. Currency then was Pounds, shillings and pence £ s d
The Immediate Lessors were designated “In Fee”. In fee were freehold tenures, derived from a grant from the Crown.
Tithe Applotment Books (1820’s)
The Tithe Applotment Books (Rental Applotment Valuation) have one entry for Gortroe. Richard Morrissy 68 Acres, £3. 10s annual tax. Those were assessments of the taxes that were to be paid to the “Irish Church” i.e. Church of Ireland for land holdings in excess of 1 acre.
Two families are recorded in Gortroe (Greethill, Galway) The Heads of Households were; Michael Kelly and Martin Costello. They shared one small house. 12 people resided there, 7 males and 5 females. Constable Owen Gaffney was the enumerator. The census night was 31st March 1901, and the forms were collected on April 9th 1901.
Costello’s Martin Costello (34), a farmer, is Head of the Family. Living with him were his wife Bridget (30) and their seven children, 5 males and 2 females. Both Martin and Bridget can read and write and speak Irish and English. The children are: John Costello (13), a scholar; can read and write; Patt Costello (11) a scholar; Martin Costello (9) a scholar, can read and write; Michael Costello (7) a scholar can read. Daughters Julia (5); Delia Costello (3) and son James Costello (1) cannot read. They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholics. They lived in a private house made of blocks, brick or concrete and had a roof of slate, iron or tiles. It had 2 front windows, 3 rooms were occupied by 12 people and was deemed a 2nd class house. There were 3 outhouses, a stable, a cow house and a barn.
Kelly’s Michael Kelly (28) was Head of the Family. He was a farm labourer. His wife Bridget Kelly (25) and daughter Bridget Kelly (1) lived with him. The adults could read and write and spoke both Irish and English. They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholics. They were Family Number 2 in the house.
One family is recorded in Gortroe (Greethill, Galway). The Head of Household is Martin Costello. 9 people resided there, 5 males and 4 females. Constable Patrick Colreavy was the enumerator. The census night was Sunday 2nd April 1911 and the forms were collected on April 6th 1911.
Costello’s Martin Costello (50), a farmer, is Head of the Family. Living with him were his wife Bridget (48) and their seven children, 5 males and 2 females. Both Martin and Bridget could read and write and spoke Irish and English. The children were: Martin Costello (19) a labourer, could read and write; Michael Costello (17) a labourer, could read and write. Daughters Julia (15); Delia Costello (13) and son James Costello (11) were scholars and could read and write. Mary Costello (9) a scholar could read and write and William a son aged 3 completed the household. They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholics. They lived in a private house made of blocks, brick or concrete and had a roof of slate, iron or tiles. It had 2 front windows. 3 rooms were occupied by 9 people and the house was deemed a 2nd class house. There were 3 outhouses, a stable, a cow house and a barn.
Add a comment about this page