Standard Name: Tobernavean
Irish Forms: Tobar na bhFian
Translation: O’Donovan’s Field Name Books translation is ‘well of the Fingallians’
Other Form of Name: Tobernaveen
Tobernavean is situated in the Barony of Athenry, three miles North West of Athenry town bounded on the North by Ballinloughan and Ballybackagh, on the east by Carnaun and Moanbaun and on the South by Caslelambert and Deerpark.
Records from this source (1860’s) list Tobernavean as the property of a Mr. Lambert, containing 363½ statute acres, one eight of which is arable; the remainder heathy pasture with the exception of about 14 acres of plantation in its northern extremity. It is situated 3 miles NW of Athenry, bounded on the North by Ballinloughan and Ballybockagh, on the East by Carnaun and Monavaun and on the South by Castlelambert and Deerpark townlands.
The townlands that share a border with Tobernavean are:
The map of this Barony was destroyed in 1711. No copies have, so far, come to light.
While there is townland information available for many townlands in Athenry on pre- and post-Cromwell ownership, there does not appear to be any such record for Tobernavean.
The Tithe Applotment Book (Rental Applotment Valuation) has no entry for Tobernavean.
Griffith’s Valuation (1855)
Information from Griffith’s Valuation give the area as 363 Acres 8 Perches with a land value at the time of £30.1.s. No value is recorded for buildings. Records show 3 occupiers as:
Parsons Lambert 23 Acres 3 Roods and 18 Perches with annual rateable valuation of £3. 0 shillings. John Fahy 324 Acres and 30 Perches with annual rateable valuation of £20. 0 shillings.
Walter Lambert 15 Acres and Woodranger’s house& land (plantation) rateable valuation 14s. and 6s for the buildings.
Walter Lambert was the Immediate Lessor and held this “in Fee”. (“In Fee” were freehold tenures, derived from a grant from the Crown).
That gave a total of 363Acres 0 Rood and 8 Perches with total annual valuation of rateable property £23.14s. 0d for the land 6s for the buildings, giving a total of £24.0s. 0d
Currency then was Pounds, shillings and pence £ s d
The “Description of Tenament” was the recording method and included land and all properties such as out offices and houses.
In 1901 Census there was no inhabitant recorded for this townland. Census night was 31st March 1901.
In 1911 one house is recorded. It was inhabited. 5 people resided in Tobernavee and the District Electoral Division of Aughrim. 2 males and 3 females. Constable O. McGlade was the Census enumerator. The census night was Sunday 2nd April 1911, and the form was collected on April 13th 1911. The Head of the Household was Richard Scott.
Scott’s Richard Scott is Head of family. Aged 54, a game keeper, married, a Roman Catholic, born in Co. Roscommon. He and all his household are recorded as being able to read and write. In the house on census night were his wife of 27 years Mary Scott (48) who was born in Co. Meath and his 2 daughters Mary Anne Scott (23), single; Kathleen Scott (19), single and Michael Scott (15) a scholar. Those 3 children were born in Co. Galway and there were 6 children born alive and 6 still living. All were Roman Catholics. The house, a private dwelling was built on land owned by Mary Lambert and had walls that were made of stone, brick, or concrete. The roof of the dwelling was made of slates, iron, or tiles. It had 3 front windows, and 3 rooms were occupied. It was deemed a second class house. There were 2 out-offices/farm steadings – piggery and a shed.