Páirc na hAitinne, field, furze, gorse
Furzypark is situated 1 mile South of Athenry bounded on the North by Gortnahouen, West by Mulpit and Newford and South by Farranablanky East and West.
The Down Survey Map 1641 (Pre-Cromwell) under the name Clumbroske states that the owner was Teige O’Daly (Catholic). The Down Survey Map 1670 (Post-Cromwell) states that the owner was Samuell Ffoxan (Protestant). There was 374 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 170 plantation acres of profitable land and 170 plantation acres forfeited.
O’Donovan’s Field Name Books provides various spellings for this townland: Furzypark
Páirc na hAitíne, Furzepark, Fur Park and Firpark. This source also states that it is the property of Mark Browne, Esq., containing 42½ statute acres all under tillage, and forms on its West side the East bounds of Newford Ball Alley, 3 chains South of which is an Eel Weir.
William Kelly leased tenements to Timothy Cornealy. Timothy paid £21-15-0 for 42 acres 1 rood 35 perches of land.
No records for 1901 or 1911 Census records for this townland has been located as of 12th April 2022.
Add a comment about this page