Cloran

Civil Parish of Athenry

India Costello/ Heritage Office, Galway County Council

Cloran

An Cloichreán, Cloran

It is situated 2 miles Southwest of Athenry, bounded on the North by Ballygarraun West, West by Gortruah and Gurthill, South by Killeeneen Parish and East by Castleturvin, Millpark and Mulpit.

The Down Survey Map 1641 (pre-Cromwell) under the name Karnan states that the owner was Redmund McShane Burke (Catholic). The Down survey map 1670 (post Cromwell) states that the owner was Redmond Bourke (Catholic). It also states that there was 80 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 110 plantation acres of profitable land and 110 plantation acres of forfeited land.

O’Donovan’s Field Name books provies various spellings of this townland: Cloran
Cloithreán, Cloithreán, Cloghraun, Clohan, Clohan, Cloghan, Clorhan and Clorane. This source also states that the Turvin Family are the proprietors containing 439½ statute acres, 1/8 ths. of which is cultivated, the remainder is rocky pasture, and near its South extremity is a fort called Lismiel, and near its North end a caher or fort 6 chains West of a village of houses. A Trigl. Station is near its North extremity, 2 chains South of road, 138 feet above the sea. It is bounded on the North and N.E. by a road from Athenry to Galway. Its general surface varies from 64 to 144 feet above the sea at low water of O.S tides.

Griffith’s Valuation 1855

Griffith’s valuation states that Francis Bruen leased tenements to the following tenants: Joseph Egan, John Monaghan, Michael Hanly, John Carey, Thomas Hynes and Byran Eagle.

Joseph Egan paid £14-10-0 for 33 acres 0 roods 28 perches of house, office, and land. John Monaghan paid £28-5-0 for 89 acres 0 roods 5 perches of land. Michael Hanly paid £16-10-0 for 41 acres 2 roods 36 perches of houses, offices, and land and also 2 cottiers’ houses. John Carey paid £30-0-0 for 84 acres 2 roods 31 perches of land. Thomas Hynes paid £36-0-0 for 87 acres 2 roods 6 perches of house, offices, and land. Byran Eagle paid £32-5-0 for 89 acres 0 roods 6 perches of houses, offices, and land and also a cottier’s house.

1901 Census

There were 5 dwellings in Cloran in 1901, all of which were occupied. There was a population of 24 people, 8 males and 16 females. All members of the townland were Roman Catholic. The census states that each dwelling was private. There were 5 heads of households as follows: Mary Anne Egan, Margaret Hanly, Margaret Keary, Thomas Hynes, and Hanora Eagle. The wall of each dwelling was made of stone, brick, or concrete. The roof of each dwelling was made of thatch, wood, or some other perishable material. There were 23 farm buildings altogether.

Mary Anne Egan (60) was a farmer. She lived with her 3 sisters Kate (58), Hanoria (40) and Emily (38). Kate was also a farmer. All occupants were born in Co. Galway. All of the sisters could read and write and spoke English only. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 5 windows in the front. Mary Anne owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn.

Margaret Hanly (60) was a widowed farmer. She lived with her 3 children John (36), Thomas (34) and Bridget (28). All of the children were farmers. All members of the household were born in Co. Galway. No members of the household could read but they all spoke Irish as well as English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Margaret owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn.

Margaret Keary (60) was a widowed farmer. She lived with her mother-in-law Kate (86) who was also a widow. She also lived with her 4 children William (28), Martin (24), Michael (22) and Nora (19). All occupants were born in Co. Galway. Margaret and Kate could not read but the rest of the household could read and write. All occupants spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Margaret owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn.

Thomas Hynes (85) was a farmer married to Bridget (70). They lived with their son Thomas (36) who was also a farmer and a farmer’s servant Kate Cloonan (20). All occupants were born in Co. Galway and spoke Irish and English. Kate was the only member of the house that could not read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Thomas owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn.

Hanora Eagle (60) was a widowed farmer. She lived with her 5 children John (29), Annie (21), Katie (20), Julia (18) and Sebina (16). All of the children were farmers. Each member of the household was born in Co. Galway. They also all spoke Irish as well as English and could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Hanora owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn.

1911 Census

There were 5 dwellings in Cloran in 1911, all of which were occupied. There was a population of 26 people, 10 males and 16 females. All members of the townland were Roman Catholic. The census states that each dwelling was private. There were 5 heads of households as follows: Mary Anne Egan, John Hanley, Margaret Keary, Thomas Hynes, and Nora Eagle. The wall of each dwelling was made of stone, brick, or concrete. The roof of each dwelling was made of iron ,slate, tile, thatch, wood, or some other perishable material. There were 22 farm buildings altogether.

Mary Anne Egan (78) was a farmer. She lived with her 3 sisters Kate E (73), Norah (58) and Emily (53). They were all farmers. They also lived with a servant Joe Clancy (55). All occupants were born in Co. Galway. All members of the household could read and write apart from Joe. The only member of the household that could speak Irish as well as English is Joe. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 4 windows in the front. Mary owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 shed.

John Hanley (35) was a farmer married to Bridget (28). John was born in Co. Galway and Bridget was born in Co. Mayo. Bridget could read and write but John could not read. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 2 windows in the front. John owned the land upon which the house was built with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 fowl house.

Margaret Keary (68) was a widowed farmer. She lived with her 3 sons William (40), Patrick (38) and Martin (35) who were all farmers too. All occupants were born in Co. Galway and could speak Irish and English. Margaret could not read but the rest of the house could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 2 windows in the front. Margaret owned the land upon which the house was built with 1 stable, 1 cow house and 1 piggery.

Thomas Hynes (40) was a farmer married to Margaret (30). In 1911 they had been married for 8 years, had 5 children all of whom were still living. They lived with their 5 children Mary Teressa (7), Bridget (6), Sarah (4), John (1) and Margaret A (2 months). They also lived with 2 servants Michael Malone (88) and Mary Hickey (26). All occupants were born in Co. Galway. Mary Teressa and Bridget were scholars. Thomas and Margaret could read and write. Mary Teressa could read, and the rest of the household could not read. Only Michael and Mary could speak Irish as well as English. Michael Malone was a widower. Mary had been married for 2 years. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 2 windows in the front. Thomas owned the land upon which the house was built 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 shed.

Nora Eagle (70) was a widowed farmer. She lived with her son John (40) and daughter in law Mary (24). John was a farmer’s son. She also lived with her 2 daughters Julia (26), Sabina (24) and a servant Martin O’Donnell (40) who was a farm labourer. All occupants were born in Co. Galway. All members of the household could read and write. Each member of the household could speak Irish as well as English apart from Mary. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 2 windows in the front. Nora owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 shed.

This page was added on 05/04/2022.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *