Fahy’s Village

Civil Parish of Athenry

India Costello/Heritage Office Galway County Council

Fahy's Village

Baile Uí Fhathaigh, Fahysvillage

Fahy’s Village is located 2¼ miles N. N.W. of Athenry bounded on the North by Castle Ellen, West by Pollagh, South by Mountain North and East by Loughaunenaghan townlands.

The Down Survey Map 1641 (pre-Cromwell) under the name Ballenmetagh states that the owner was Walter Browne (Catholic). The Down Survey Map 1670 (post Cromwell) states that Thomas Smith (Protestant). There was 396 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 513 plantation acres of profitable land and 513 plantation acres of forfeited land.

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books provides various spellings of this townland Fahy’s Village
and Baile Uí Fhathaigh. This source also states that it was the property of Capt. Lambert containing 89 statute acres all under cultivation. It was bounded on the West by the road from Athenry to Claregalway, and its general surface varies from 169 to 184 feet above the level of the sea at low water ordinary Spring tides.

Griffith’s Valuation 1855

Walter P. Lambert had 89 acres 0 roods 23 perches of herd’s house, office, and land worth £31-10-0 in fee.

1901 Census

There was 1 dwelling in Fahy’s village in 1901. There were 10 occupants, all of whom were Roman Catholic and born in Co. Galway. The roof was made from thatch, wood, or some other perishable material. The walls were made from stone, brick, or concrete. John Rabbitt was the head of the household.

John Rabbitt (85) was a widowed shepherd. He was also deaf. He lived with his son John (45) who was also a shepherd and married to Anne (40). Their children were Patt (13), Delia (9), Mary Anne (7), Sebina [sic] (6) and Martie James (4 months). Patt was a herd’s servant. Delia and Mary Anne were scholars. John (45), Sebina and Martie James could not read. The rest of the family members could read and write. The 6 eldest members of the family could speak Irish and English. They also lived with 2 servants Bridget Clancy (14) and Patrick Canavan (40). Bridget was a domestic house servant and could read and write. Patrick was a farm servant and could not read. He was also married. They could both speak Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. John Rabbitt owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house and 1 piggery.

No records for 1911 Census records for this townland was located as of 11th April 2022.

 

This page was added on 14/04/2022.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *