Cloonnavaddoge

Civil Parish of Athenry

India Costello/Heritage Office Galway, County Council

Cloonnavaddoge

Cluain na bhFeadóg, meadow, pasture, Cloonnavaddoge

Cloonnavaddoge was situated in the Barony of Clare, bounded on the North by Lauraghmore, to the East by Lauraghbeg, to the South by Kilskeagh, West by Rathfee and Northwest by Meera townland.

The Down Survey Map provides no information about the townland of Cloonavaddoge.

O’Donovan’s Field name books 1838 provides various spellings of this townland Cloonnavaddogg, Cluain na Bhfeadog, Clunna bhaddogh or Lapwings haunt, Cloonavaddogue, Cloonavadogue, Cloonavadoge/Cloonavaddogue, Cloonvadough and Cloonnavadogue/Cloonavadough.This source also states that this townland was the property of Mr. Kelly. The greater part is under pasture. There is a road through it.[sic]

Tithe Applotment Books 1827

The tithe applotment books state that Michael Browne held 362 acres of land worth £11-15-2.

Griffith’s Valuation 1855

Thomas Kelly leased tenements to the following tenants: John Cody, Ulick Burke, Bridget Fahy, Johanna Concar, Martin Connor, and Walter McDonagh.

John Cody paid £2-15-0 for 12 acres 3 roods 12 perches of house and land. Ulick Burke paid £4-10-0 for 26 acres 0 roods 39 perches of land. Bridget Fahy paid £0-5-0 for 1 acre 2 roods 35 perches of land. Johanna Concar paid £1-5-0 for 7 acres 3 roods 29 perches of house and land. Martin Connor paid £1-10-0 for 7 acres 1 rood 15 perches of house and land. Walter McDonagh paid £157-5-0 for 204 acres 3 roods 25 perches of herds house, offices, and land, 131 acres 3 roods 12 perches of land, 39 acres 0 roods 37 perches of land and 74 acres 3 roods 0 perches of land.

1901 Census

There were 7 dwellings in Cloonnavaddoge in 1901, all of which were inhabited. There was a population of 37 people, 17 males and 20 females. The census which was collected on the 10th of April 1901 states that each dwelling was private. The heads of households were as follows; Kate Coady, Ulick Burke, John Burke, Michael Long, Julia Coen, Julia Connor, and Patrick Dempsey. The walls of each dwelling were made from stone, brick, or concrete. The roof of each household was made from thatch, wood, or some other perishable material. There were 26 farm buildings in total.

Kate Coady (50) was a widowed farmer. She lived with her 6 children John (28), Hubert (22), Mary (18), Walter (16), Eddy (14) and Noney (12).  All occupants were Roman Catholic and born in Co. Galway. The 3 youngest children were scholars. All members of the household could read and write except for Kate who could read only. All occupants could speak Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Kate owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn.

Ulick Burke (80) was a widowed farmer. He lived with his son in law Martin Eagen (28), daughter Bridgee (23) and their children Sabina (3), Timothy (2), Ellen (1) and Mary (5). All occupants were Roman Catholic and born in Co. Galway. Martin could read and Bridgee could read and write but the rest of the household could not read or write. Only the 3 eldest members of the household could speak Irish as well as English. They lived in a 2nd class house along with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Ulick Burke owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn.

John Burke (44) was a farmer married to Bates (45). They lived with their 8 children Ulick (18), John (16), Mary (14), Norah (12), Sabina (10), Maggie [sic] (8), Delia (6) and Katie (3). Mary, Norah, Maggie, and Delia were scholars. All occupants were Roman Catholic and born in Co. Galway. All members of the household could speak Irish and English apart from Katie. John, Sabina, and Katie could not read, Maggie and Delia could read only, and the rest of the household could read and write. They lived in a 3rd class house with 1 room and 1 window in the front. John owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn.

Michael Long (30) was a farmer married to Mary (26) who was a housekeeper. They were both born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Neither of them could read or write but they could both read and write. They lived in a 3rd class house with 1 room and 2 windows in the front. Michael owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn.

Julia Coen (75) was a farmer. She was a widow. She lived with her granddaughter Kate Moloney (16). They were both Roman Catholic and born in Co. Galway. Julia could not read but Kate could read and write. Julia spoke Irish only and Kate spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Julia owned the land upon which the house was built.

Julia Connor (65) was a widowed farmer. She lived with her son John (24) and daughter in law Bridget (30). John was a farmer. All occupants were born in Co. Galway and Roman Catholic. John could read only, and the rest of the house could not read. All members of the household could speak Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Julia owned the land upon which the house was built 1 stable, 1 cow house and 1 barn.

Patrick Dempsey (67) was a herder married to Honor (68). They lived with their 4 sons William (34), Patrick (30), Martin (28) and Michael (23). All occupants were Roman Catholic and born in Co. Galway. Only Michael could read and write. All members of the household could speak Irish as well as English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Patrick owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 stable, 1 cow house and 1 barn.

1911 Census

In 1911 there were 7 dwellings in Cloonnavaddoge. There was a population of 48 people, 27 males and 21 females. The census which was collected on the 10th of April 1911 states that each dwelling was private. The heads of households were as follows William Dempsey, Michael Long, John Burke, Martin Egan, Kate Coady, Julia Connor, and Martin Dempsey. The walls of each dwelling were made from stone, brick, or concrete. The roof of each household was made from thatch, wood, or some other perishable material. There were 34 farm buildings in total.

William Dempsey (49) was a shepherd married to Mary (30). In 1911 they had been married for 7 years, had 5 children all of whom were still living in 1911. They lived with their 4 children Thomas (6), Nora (5), Patrick (2) and John (1). Thomas and Nora were scholars. They also lived with William’s brother Michael (30) and a boarder William (72).  They were both farm servants. All occupants were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. William, Mary, and Michael could read and write, the rest of the household cold not read or write. The four eldest members of the house could speak Irish as well as English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Harry Holmes owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 potato house.

Michael Long (42) was a farmer married to Mary (37). In 1911 they had been married for 10 years, had 5 children, 4 of whom were still living in 1911. They lived with their 4 children, Michael (9), Delia (8), Patrick (6) and Julia (5). Each of the children were scholars. All occupants were Roman Catholic and born in Co. Galway. Mary, Michael (9) and Delia could read the rest of the household could not read. Only Michael (42) and Mary could speak Irish as well as English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Michael owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 stable, 1 piggery and 1 barn.

John Burke (55) was a farmer married to Kate (59). In 1911 they had been married for 29 years, had 8 children all of whom were still living. They lived with their 5 children John (27), Sabina (21), Maggie (20), Delia (18) and Kate (13). All occupants were Roman Catholic and born in Co. Galway. John was a farmer’s son; Sabina was a farmer’s daughter and Kate was a scholar. All members of the household could read and write except for John (55) and Sabina. All occupants could speak Irish and English apart from Sabina. The lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. John owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn.

Martin Egan (37) was a farmer married to Bridget (35). In 1911 the had been married for 16 years, had 10 children, all of whom were still living. They lived with their 10 children Sabina (14), Thady (13), Ellen (12), Ulick (11), John (10), Thomas (9), Michael (8), Martin (7) and Patrick (2). All occupants were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. The 6 eldest children were scholars. All members of the family could read and write apart from the 3 youngest members. Each occupant could speak Irish and English apart from Martin (7) and Patrick. The lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Martin owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn.

Kate Coady (63) was a widowed farmer. She lived with her son John (39), daughter in law Mary (30). In 1911 they had been married for 5 years and had 3 children Thomas (4), Darby (3) and Catherine (9 months). All occupants were Roman Catholic and born in Co. Galway. John was a farmer’s son. Only John and Mary could read and write. The 3 eldest members of the house spoke Irish as well as English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Kate owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn.

Julia Connor (73) was a widow. She lived with her son John (34), daughter in law Bridget (50) and their 3 children Martin (8), Delia (6) and Patrick (5). In 1911 they had been married for 9 years, had 3 children, 3 of whom were still living in 1911. All 3 children were scholars. John was a farmer. All occupants were Roman Catholic and born in Co. Galway. Julia and Bridget could not read but the rest of the house could read and write. Julia spoke Irish only. The rest of the house spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. John Connor [sic] owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn.

Martin Dempsey (34) was a farmer married to Kate (25). In 1911 they had been married for 2 years and had 2 children, both of which were still alive in 1911, Honor (1) and Patrick (5 months). All occupants were Roman Catholic and born in Co. Galway. Martin and Kate could read and write and speak Irish and English, but Honor and Patrick could not. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Martin owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 stable, 1 piggery and 1 barn.

This page was added on 05/04/2022.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *