It is situated in the Barony of Clare and ¼ mile North of Derrymacloughna Old Castle, bounded N. by Annagh hill, parish of Kilmoylan, E. by Ballinvoher, parish of Lackagh, S. by Derrymacloughna and W. by Ballybrone townland.
The Down Survey map provides no record of this townland and indicates the map of the barony of Athenry was destroyed in 1711.
O’Donovan’s Field Name books provide various spellings of this townland: Barnaboy, Bearna Buidhe, Barnaboy, Barnaboy B. S. Sketch Map, Barnaboy High Constable 1838, Barnaboy Inq. Temp. Car. I, Barnaboy Inq. Temp. Gal. III, Bearnaboy Inq. Temp. Jac. I, Barna bui or yellow barn Local, Barnaboy Rev. T. Kearney, P.P., Barnaboy Vestry Book 1826.
Mn and T Culinan held 137 acres of land that was valued at £5 5s 7 ¼d. Patt Moran had 41 ½ acres of land and paid a tax of £1-12-0. Patt and Ed O’Brien jointly held 2 ½ acres of land and simultaneously paid tax amounting to 1s 3d. The tithes were calculated using pounds, shillings, and pence.
There were 3 houses in Barnaboy in 1901; all 3 were occupied. The total population was 16. Eight of which were male and eight female. The heads of the households were: Augustin O’Brien, Mary Hesson [SIC], and Thomas Duffy. All inhabitants were born in County Galway and were Roman Catholic. Each house was listed as a private dwelling. There were 12 farm steadings, consisting of 3 stables, 3 cow houses, 3 piggeries, 2 barns, and 1 shed. The census forms were collected on the 2nd of April 1901.
Augustin O’Brien (76) was a farmer. He resided with his wife Bridget (62), 3 sons Edward (32), Augustin (30), Patrick (27), and 1 daughter Mary (28). All the children were unmarried and listed as farmer’s sons and daughter. Everyone in the house spoke both Irish and English. Augustine (76) could not read, while his sons could read-only, and the women of the house could both read and write. The 6 of them lived in a 2nd class, 3 roomed house with 3 front windows. Augustine owned the land his house, stable, cow house, piggery, and barn resided on.
Thomas Duffy (56) was a Tayler [SIC]. He was married to Margaret (45) and together they lived with their 2 sons John (33), Thomas (15), and 4 daughters Kate (18), Mary (13), Margaret (11), and Norah (9). All of their children were single and the four youngest were scholars. John’s occupation was listed as a farmer while Kate was farmer Dtgh [SIC]. The parents and John were listed as speaking both Irish and English, but nothing was listed for the rest of the children, suggesting they spoke English only. This family of 8 lived in a 3 roomed, 2nd class house with 3 front-facing windows. Thomas Duffy owned the land his house was built on along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, and 1 shed.
Mary Hesson [SIC] (60) was listed as a farmer. She was married however there is no mention of her husband. She lived with her single son Petir [SIC] (25) who was listed in the census as farmer’s son. Both of the occupants spoke Irish and English and were able to read and write. They lived in a 3 roomed, 2nd class house with 3 front windows. Mary owned the holding her house, stable, cow house, piggery, and barn were on.
There were 4 households in Barnaboy in 1911 and all of these were occupied. The total population was 17 people, 9 were male and 8 were female. The heads of households were as follows: Augustine O’Brien, Mary Hession, Thomas Duffy, and Edward O’Brien. All residents of Barnaboy were born in County Galway and all were Roman Catholic. Each house was listed as a private dwelling. There was a total of 13 farm steadings, consisting of 4 stables, 3 cow houses, 3 piggeries, and 3 fowl houses. The census forms were collected on the 2nd of April.
Augstine O’Brien(45) was a shepherd and a farmer. He was married to Winnie (45) for 9 years at the time of the census and out of the 3 children they had together 2 were still alive. They lived with 2 sons Patrick (9) and John (6). The 2 sons were listed as scholars. All 4 could read and write and spoke both Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms and 5 front-facing windows. Augustine was the landholder and also owned a stable and piggery.
Mary Hession (70) was listed as a widowed farmer. She resided with her single son Peter (35), single daughter Winifred (32), and grandson Martin Joseph Connelly (4). All could read and write but Martin Joseph who could not read. All spoke both Irish and English. They dwelled in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 5 rooms. Peter Hession owned the land his house was built along with a stable, cow house, piggery, and fowl house.
Thomas Duffy (68) was a taylor [SIC]. He had been married to his wife Margaret (58) for 37 years at the time of the census and had 8 children together, all of whom were noted as living. They lived with their single son Thomas (26) who was a farmer and 2 single daughters Margaret (19) and Norah (16). Everyone in the house read and wrote but Thomas (68) and all spoke Irish and English. The 5 individuals lived in a 4 roomed 2nd class house with 3 front windows. Thomas owned the holding his house, stable, cow house, piggery, and fowl house resided on.
Edward O’Brien (52) was listed as a farmer. He had been married for 8 years at the time of the census to Bridget and together they had 2 children, a son Patrick (6) and daughter Mary (3). Only Bridget and Patrick could read and write as Patrick was listed as a scholar. They were all able to speak Irish and English. They resided in a 3 roomed, 2nd class house with 3 front windows. Edward owned the land his house resided on along with a stable, cow house, and fowl house.