Coolaran is situated in the Barony of Clare, bounded on the N. by Lackaghmore, E. by Common, S. by Grange and W. by Lackabeg and Cahernashilleeny [SIC] townlands.
The Down Survey map provides no record of this townland and indicates the map of the barony of Athenry was destroyed in 1711.
O’Donovan’s Field Name books provide various spellings of this townland: Coolaran
Cul Arain, Cul arin, Coolauren B. S. Sketch Map, Coolarn Barony Map, Coolarn County Map, Coolarane High Constable 1838, Coolauran Local, Cularan Rev. T. Kearney, P.P., Coolaran Vestry Book 1826.
The Tithe Applotment books show that Richard Culkeen [SIC] occupied 74 acres of land. He paid £2 17s ½ d in tax. Thos [SIC] Hanley paid £3 19s 4s in tax for his 91 ¾ acres of terrain. Mefs [SIC] Cullinan’s 147 ½ acres cost him £7 13s 7 ¾ d. The tithes were calculated using pounds, shillings, and pence.
There were 4 households in Coolaran in 1901. 4 individuals were listed as head of household. A total of 29 inhabitants were recorded, 13 male and 16 female. All the residents in this townland were from County Galway and Roman Catholic but Joseph M Meldon and Thomas Kenny who were from Co. Dublin, Helen Meldon who was from Co. Tipperary, and John Scullane who was from Co. Clare. The census forms which were collected on the 5th for Bridget Doyle and James Fahy and 8th of April for J. M. Melon and Jane Gill showed that all the houses were inhabited and were private dwellings, but a single extra dwelling owned by J. M. Meldon Esq. All of the walls of the houses were made from stone, brick, or concrete. The roofs of Bridget Doyle and J. M. Meldon Esq were made from slate, iron, or tiles while the other 2 house roofs were formed from thatch, wood, or another perishable material.
Margaret Doyle (46) was a widowed housekeeper. She lived with her 2 sons John (17) a gardener, and Edward (7), a scholar. All three could read and write. There was no language listed for Margaret and Edward suggesting they spoke English only while Irish and English were listed for John in the census. Bridget Doyle was listed as the head of household in the form B house and buildings return. All three lived in a 3 roomed, 2nd class house with 3 front windows. J. M. Meldon Esq owned the land her house, piggery, and fowl house resided.
Joseph Meldon (41) was a justice of the peace and land agent. He lived with his wife Helen (32) who originated from Co. Tipperary. A visitor, Thomas Kenny (41) who was a solicitor was also there at the time of the census. Both Joseph and Thomas originated from Co. Dublin. John Saillane [SIC] (28), a butler from Co. Clare, Catherine Joyce (24), a house on aid servant, Edward Brady (26), and Dennis Coran (49) farm servants, all lived in the house as well and were not married. Everyone in the house could read and write and although Denis Coran and Catherine Joyce spoke both Irish and English there was no language listed for the rest of the inhabitants suggesting they spoke English only. They lived in a 17 roomed, 1st class house with 17 front windows. He also owned the land his house, 7 stables, 2 harness rooms, 3 cow houses, 2 calf houses, 7 piggeries, 4 fowl houses, 2 barns, 2 turf houses, 3 potato houses, 2 workshops, 3 sheds, 2 stores, and a forge, laundry, steam boiling room, writing office, boiling room, dairy, and a coach house resided.
Jane Gill (70) was a widow and head of household. She resided with her married son Pat (40), a herd, daughter-in-law Winnifred (36), granddaughters Kathleen (11), Ellen (9), Mary (7), Jane (5) Margaret (3) and Norah (1). Only Winifred, Kathleen, Ellen and Mary could read and write in the house. Jane spoke only Irish and Pat, Winifred, Kathleen and Ellen spoke both Irish and English while there was no language listed for the rest of the children suggesting they spoke English only in 1901. The 9 inhabitants lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class house with 2 front windows. Mark Culkin [SIC] owned the terrain her house, stable, cow house, piggery, barn, and shed inhabited.
James Fahy (80) was a married farmer. He lived with his wife Bridget (60). He also lived with his son-in-law Pat McDonagh (50), a shepherd, and their married daughter Bridget McDonagh (40). They also lived with their single daughter Anne (23), granddaughters Mary (7), Bridget (2), grandsons Pat (5), James (4), and a farm servant Peter Lavelle (23). Only Peter Lavelle, Anne Fahy, and Bridget, and Pat McDonagh were able to read and write. Bridget and Anne Fahy and Pat and Bridget McDonagh spoke both Irish and English while James Fahy spoke Irish only. The rest of the inhabitants had no language listed for them suggesting they spoke English only. They lived in a 3 roomed, 2nd class house with 3 front windows. James Fahy owned the holdings in which his stable, cow house, piggery, barn, and shed resided.
There were 3 households in Coolaran in 1911. There were 15 inhabitants, 5 were male and 10 were female. All the occupants were Roman Catholic and originated from County Galway but Catherine Burke who originated from Co. Kings (Offaly) and Mary Burke from Co. Antrim. The heads of households were: Bridget McDonagh, James Burke, and Patrick Gill. The census forms, which were collected on the 5th April 1911, showed that all the houses were listed as private dwellings. Each house roof but James Burke’s was made of thatch, wood, or another perishable material, while all of the walls were made from stone, brick, or concrete.
Bridget McDonagh (50) was a farmer. She lived with her widowed mother Bridget Fahy (73), son Patrick (16), and daughter Bridget (12). Everyone spoke both Irish and English and was able to read and write but Bridget Fahy who spoke Irish only and could not read. They lived in a 3 roomed, 2nd class house with 3 front windows. Bridget owned the land her house resided on along with her stable, cow house, calf house, and shed.
James Burke (42) was a married shepherd. He had been married for 14 years to Catherine (38) who originated from Co. King’s. They lived with their daughter Mary (13) whose birthplace was Co. Antrim, and sons Patrick (10) and Thomas (5). James and Patrick could not read and write while the rest of the family could. James could speak Irish and English while there was no language listed for the rest of the inhabitants suggesting they spoke English only.
Patrick Gill (60) was a shepherd. He had been married to Winifred (49) for 25 years, during which they had 7 children. 4 were still alive in 1911. He also lived with his daughters Mary (18), Jane (15), Margaret (13), and Norah (11). Everyone in the house could read and write but Patrick. Everyone spoke both Irish and English and resided together in a 2 roomed, 3rd class house with a single window. John Domillan [SIC] owned the terrain in which his house and shed resided.