Gloves West

Civil Parish of Athenry

India Costello/Heritage Office Galway County Council

Gloves West

Na Glaimhe Thiar, Gloves West

Gloves West was situated it is situated 2 miles East of Athenry, bounded on the North by Monivea, in West by Poulaghoppul, South by Kiltulla Parish and East by Gloves Middle.

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books provides various spellings for this townland Gloves West
Gloves West and Gloves. This source also states that it is the property of Mr. Browne containing 155 statute acres 1/3 rd. of which is bog, the remainder arable. Its average height above the sea varies from 172 to 184 feet.

Tithe Applotment Books

Bernd Browne kept 61 acres of land worth £4-15-3. Thomas Kenny kept 68 acres of land worth £4-13-1. Patt Donoghue kept 9 acres of land worth £0-3-4. Owen Donoghue kept 4 acres of land worth £0-1-6. John Campbell kept 2 ½ acres of land worth £0-0-10.

1901 Census

There were only 2 households in Gloves West in 1901.

Ellen Crehan (60) was a widow. She lived with his 2 sons John (29) and Michael (26). All occupants were Roman Catholic and born in Co. Galway. Ellen could read only; John and Michael could read and write. No members of the household could speak Irish. The occupation for each family member was recorded as ‘herd’ [sic]. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. William owned the land upon which the house was built. The walls were made from stone, brick, or concrete. The roof was made from thatch, wood, or some other perishable material.

Michael Walsh (70) was a farmer married to Julia (55). They lived with their 3 children Thomas (20), Julia (17) and Sarah (13). All occupants were Roman Catholic and born in Co. Galway. Thomas was a labourer. Michael could not read; Julia can read only, and the rest of the household could read and write. All members of the household could speak Irish and English. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front. Michael owned the land upon which the house was built. The walls were made from stone, brick, or concrete. The roof was made from thatch, wood, or some other perishable material

1911 Census

There were only 2 households in Gloves West in 1911.

John Crehan (48) was a farmer married to Catherine (32). In 1911 they had been married for 3 years, had 3 children all of whom were still living. They lived with their 3 children Mary Ellen (2), John (1) and Annie (4 months). They also lived with John’s uncle Patrick Keating who was also a farmer. All occupants were Roman Catholic and born in Co. Galway. John (48), Catherine and Patrick could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. John owned the land upon which the house was built. The walls were made from stone, brick, or concrete. The roof was made from thatch, wood, or some other perishable material.

Michael Walsh (82) was a widowed farmer. He lived with a general servant Barthly Flaherty [sic] (35). All occupants were Roman Catholic and born in Co. Galway. Neither of them could read or write. They both spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. John owned the land upon which the house was built. The walls were made from stone, brick, or concrete. The roof was made from thatch, wood, or some other perishable material.

 

 

This page was added on 26/04/2022.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *