Derrydonnellbeg

Civil Parish of Athenry

India Costello/Heritage Office Galway County Council

Derrydonnellbeg

Doire Uí Dhónaill Beag, small, wood, grove, thicket

It is situated 4½ miles West of Athenry bounded on the North by Derrydonnell North, West by Oranmore, South by Shantallow and East by Moyveela townland.

The Down Survey Map provides no record of this townland.

O’Donovan’s Field Name books provide various spellings of this townland Derrydonnellbeg
Doire Ui Domhnaill (beag), Derrydonnelbeg, Derridonell and Derrydonnel. This source also states that it was the property of Mr. French containing 297½ statute acres, all under cultivation , it was bounded on the North by the road from Athenry to Galway and was intersected by the road from latter place to Dublin, near its Southern and central extremity was a ruin called Shan Cloigh [sic], and near its East extremity is a ruin called Thaghal [sic]. A small portion in its North end is subject to floods in winter, and at its western extremity, there are two forts 18 chains South of the above road. Its general surface varies from 60 to 125 feet above the level of the sea at O. S. tides.

Tithe Applotment Books (1827)

Jas H. Burke held 171 acres of land worth £10-16-4. John Ryan held 315 acres worth £16-8-1 ½. Peter Neyland held 295 acres of land worth £7-7-6. John Grealy held 60 acres of land worth £1-10-0. Thomas Fahy held 100 acres of land worth £2-10-0.

Griffith’s Valuation 1855

Robert French leased tenements to the following tenants John Kane, Peter Kenny, Timothy Ford, and John Grealy. John Kane paid £3-5-0 for 12 acres 2 roods 10 perches of caretaker’s house and land.  John Kane also paid £5-15-0 for 17 acres 1 rood 36 perches of house, offices, and land. Peter Kenny paid £4-5-0 for 13 acres 1 rood 20 perches of house, office, and land. Timothy Ford paid £0-18-0 for 1 acre 0 rood 23 perches of house and land. John Grealy paid £4-10-0 for 16 acres 0 roods 8 perches of house, office, and land.

Robert French kept 30 acres 2 roods 4 perches of land and 198 acres 2 roods 20 perches of herds house, offices and land all worth £01-5-0 in fee.

M.G.W. Railway kept 6 acres 3 roods 10 perches of railway line and a forge all worth £0-10-0 in fee.

1901 Census

There were 2 households in Derrydonnellbeg in 1901 both of which were occupied. There was a population of 10 people, 4 males and 6 females. All occupants were Roman Catholic and born in Co. Galway apart from Julia McCarthy in household 2 who was born in Co. Limerick. The walls of each household were made from stone, brick, or concrete. The roof of each household was made from thatch, wood, or some other perishable material. The census was collected on the 8th of April 1901. There were 5 farm buildings altogether.  The heads of household were as follows Michael Grealey and Mary Keane.

Michael Grealey (33) was a farmer married to Catherine (30). They lived with 3 children John (3), Mary B (1) and Thomas (9 months). They also lived with Michael’s mother Honor (80);she was a widow. No resident could read or write. Michael, Catherine, and Honor could speak Irish as well as English. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front. Michael Grealey owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 stable, 1 cow house and 1 barn.

Mary Keane (65) was a farmer. She lived with her niece Mary McCarthy (35) and niece in law Julia McCarthy (21). They also lived with a farm servant Michael Lenihan (17). Julia was a housekeeper. All occupants could read and write. All residents could speak Irish as well as English apart from Julia. The lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Mary Keane owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 stable and 1 cow house.

1911 Census

There were 3 households in Derrydonnellbeg in 1911, all of which were inhabited. There was a population of 19 people, 11 male and 8 female. All occupants were Roman Catholic. The walls of each dwelling were made from stone, brick, or concrete. The roof of each building was made from slate, iron, tile, wood, thatch, or some other perishable material. The census was collected on the 4th of April. The heads of households were as follows Mary Keane, Michael Grealy, and Anthony Freeney.

Mary Keane (75) lived with her niece Julia Madden (30). They also lived with a servant John Robinson (20) who was a labourer. Mary was born in Co. Galway; Julia was born in Co. Limerick and John was born in Co. Roscommon. Mary could read only but Julia and John could read and write. Only Mary could speak Irish as well as English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Mary Keane Senior owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn.

Michael Grealy (45) was a farmer married to Catherine (45). In 1911 they had been married for 15 years, had 7 children, 6 of whom were still living. They lived with their 6 children John (13), Mary (11), Thomas (9), James (7), Catherine (5) and Delia (3 months). All the children were scholars apart from Delia. All occupants were Roman Catholic and born in Co. Galway. Michael, Catherine, and Delia could not read, Catherine (5) could read only, and the rest of the house could read and write. Only Michael and Catherine (45) could speak Irish as well as English. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front. Michael Grealy owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn.

Anthony Freeney (60) was a farmer married to Mary (48). In 1911 they had been married for 26 years, had 7 children, all of whom were still living. They lived with their 7 children Mary (22), Michael (20), Miles (18), Patrick (16), Willie (14) and Martin (9). The 3 eldest sons were labourers, and the 2 youngest sons were scholars. All occupants were Roman Catholic and born in Co. Galway. Anthony could read only. The rest of the household could read and write. All residents could speak Irish and English apart from Willie and Martin. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 4 windows in the front. Anthony Freeney owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 stable and 1 cow house.

This page was added on 14/04/2022.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *