Farranablanky is situated ½ a mile South of Athenry bounded on the North by Baunmore and Gortnahowen, on the West by Furzepark and Farranablanky W., on the South by Turloughalonger and on the East by Boyhill.
The Down Survey Map 1641 (Pre-Cromwell) under the name Carroward states that the owner was Sir Dominick Browne (Protestant). The Down Survey Map 1670 (Post Cromwell) states that the owner was Thomas Bourke (Catholic). There was 115 plantation acres of unprofitable land,
96 plantation acres profitable land, and 96 plantation acres of forfeited land.
O’Donovan’s Field Name Books provides various spellings of this townland Farranablanky
Fearán a’ Bhlácaigh, Farranblake, Farrannablanky East, Farranblake, Blakesland, Farraneblake
and Blakelands. This source also states that it is the property of Mr. Evans containing 148½ statute acres. It is all cultivated and contains several large forts, one 13 chs. N.W. of the S.E. angle and second 14 chains from the first N.W. called Rathacugha and 5 chains N.W. of this fort is a Trigl. Station 129 feet above the sea, and a third fort is at 9 chains W. N.W. of the station, another large fort is on the W. side of road from Athenry to Craughwell.
Edward Evans kept 148 acres 2 roods 21 perches of house and land worth £72-10-0 in fee.
There was only 1 household in Farranablanky in 1901.
Martin Cahill (45) was a herdsman married to Julia (30) who was a housekeeper. They lived with their 4 children Sabina (6), Patrick (4), Michael (3) and Bridget (11 months). All occupants were Roman Catholic and born in Co. Galway. Martin could read only. Julia could read and write. The children could not read or write. Martin and Julia spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Matt McDonagh owned the land upon which the house was built. The roof was made from slate, iron, or tile. The walls were made from stone, brick or concrete.
There was only 1 household in Farranablanky in 1911.
Martin Cahill (53) was a herdsman married to Julia (41) who was a housekeeper. In 1911 they had been married for 18 years, had 8 children, 6 of whom were still living. They lived with their 6 children Sabina (16), Michael (14), Bridget (10), John (9), Noney (8) and Martin (6). All occupants were Roman Catholic and born in Co. Galway. The children were all scholars. Martin and Julia could read only. The children could all read and write apart from Martin. Martin spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Matthew McDonagh owned the land upon which the house was built. The roof was made from slate, iron, or tile. The walls were made from stone, brick, or concrete.