Ballydavid North

Civil Parish of Athenry

India Costello/ Heritage Office Galway County Council

Ballydavid North

Baile Dháibhí Thuaidh

Ballydavid North is situated 2 miles North of Athenry bounded on the North by Mountpelier, West by Skaghaderreen, South by Ballydavid Middle and East by Caheratubber East.

The Down Survey map 1641 (pre Cromwell) shows that the owner was Andrew Brown FitzOliver. He was a Catholic. The Down survey map 1671 (post Cromwell) states that the owner was John Whaley. He was a Protestant.

O’Donovan’s Field Name books 1838 states that this townland was the property of Lady Russel containing 197½ statute acres. All, with the exception of 12 acres, was under cultivation which was rocky. It is bounded on the East by the road from Athenry to Monivea and a bye road passes through the centre of townland from East to West.

Griffith’s Valuation 1855

According to Griffith’s Valuation Rep Hon B. Sewell leased tenements to the following tenants: Honoria Ryan, Patrick Brennan, Thomas Donohoe, Thomas Ryan, John Kendrigan, John Connor, Michael Jordan, James Loughnan and the graveyard. Michael Jordan also leased tenements to Martin Howard.

Honoria Ryan paid a rent of £14-15-0 for 46 acres 1 rood 37 perches of land house and offices. Patrick Brennan paid a rent of £13-10-0 for 41 acres 1 rood 25 perches of land, house and offices. Thomas Donohoe paid a rent of £5-5-0 for 12 acres 0 roods 15 perches of house and land. Thomas Ryan paid a rent of £8-10-0 for 20 acres 3 roods 20 perches of land. John Kendrigan paid a rent of £6-10-0 for 17 acres 3 roods 20 perches of land. John Connor paid a rent of £8-12-0 for 20 acres 2 roods 32 perches of land, house and offices. Michael Jordan paid a rent of £11-0-0 for 29 acres 4 roods 0 perches of house, offices and land. James Loughnan paid a rent of £1-5-0 for 1 acre 2 roods 2 perches of house and land. Martin Howard paid a rent of £1-0-0 for 0 acres 1 rood 30 perches of house and garden. The total annual valuation of rateable property paid overall in Ballydavid North was £68-7-0 for 197 acres 1 rood 23 perches of land, houses, offices and garden.

1901 Census

There were 6 households in Ballydavid North in 1901. There were 6 individuals who were listed as head of family. A total of 31 inhabitants are recorded in 1901, 16 were male and 15 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholics. Each individual was born in County Galway. The census forms which were collected on the 11th of April 1901 showed that all houses were built as private dwellings. The house walls were made of stone, brick or concrete while each house roof was made of thatch, wood, or other perishable material. Overall, there were 15 farm buildings, 4 stables, 3 cow houses, 3 piggeries, 3 barns and 2 sheds. The heads of the families were as follows: Michael Ryan, Andrew Loughnane, Thady Brennan [sic], Catherine Kearney, Ellen Blaid, and William Loughnane.

Michael Ryan (70) was a farmer married to Honoria (65). They lived with their 4 children Delia (20), Michael (18), John (16) and Thomas (14). The occupation of all their children was recorded as farmer’s son/daughter. They also lived with their servant John Glynn (63). His occupation was recorded as an agricultural labourer.  All members of the household were able to read and write and could also speak English and Irish. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Michael Ryan owned the land upon which the house was situated along with a stable, cow house, piggery, barn and shed.

Andrew Loughnane (52) was a farmer married to Sarah (41). They lived with their 6 children James (16), Kate (14), Mary (14), Anne (13), Michael (10) and Sarah (5). The occupation of all their children was recorded as farmer’s son/daughter. All members of the household were able to read and write except for Kate. Andrew and Sarah could speak English and Irish. The rest of the family could only speak English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Andrew owned the land upon which the house was situated along with a cow house, piggery, barn and shed.

Thady Brennan [sic] (64) was a farmer married to Ellen (42). They lived with their 6 children Mary (18), John Joseph (13), Michael (11), Delia (8), Kathleen (5) and James (3). Ellen and Mary’s occupation was listed as farmer’s wife and daughter. John Joseph, Michael and Delia were scholars. The 2 youngest members of the family were infants. Thady, Ellen and Mary spoke English and Irish, the rest of the household only spoke English. Delia, Kathleen and James could not read, the rest of the family could read and write. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms and 2 front facing windows. Thady owned the land upon which the house was situated along with one stable and one piggery.

Catherine Kearney (63) was a shepherd who lived with her son Michael (34). Michael was an Agricultural Labourer. Catherine was widowed and Michael was unmarried. They both spoke English and Irish. Catherine could not read but Michael could. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms and 2 front facing windows. The land upon which the house was situated was owned by John [sic] Broderick. They had no farm steadings.

Ellen Blaid (sic) (63) lived with her son Michael (28) who was an agricultural labourer. They both could speak English and Irish. Ellen could not read but Michael could read and write. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms and 2 front facing windows. John Blaid owned the land upon which the house was situated along with a stable and a barn.

William Loughnane (65) was a farmer married to Honor (63). They lived with their son Andrew (28) and daughter in law Honor (27). They were all farmers. All members of the household could read and write. William and Honor spoke English and Irish. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 windows in the front and 2 rooms. William owned the land upon which the house was situated along with a stable and cow house.

1911 Census

There were 6 households listed in Ballydavid North in 1911. There were 33 inhabitants, 18 male and 15 female. All inhabitants were Roman Catholic and born in Co. Galway. The census forms which were collected on the 3rd of April 1911 showed that all houses were built as private dwellings. The house walls were made of stone, brick or concrete while each house roof was made of thatch, wood, or other perishable material, slate, iron or tile. Overall, there were 21 farm steadings, 4 stables, 6 cow houses, 6 piggeries, 2 barns and 2 sheds. The heads of households are as follows : Ellen Blade, Hanoria Ryan, Andrew Loughlin, John Ryan, Thady Brennan and William Loughnane.

Ellen Blade (73) was a widowed farmer who lived with her son Michael (29) and daughter Mary Anne (25). Ellen had been married for 30 years. She had 6 children, 4 of whom were still alive in 1911.They all spoke English and Irish. Only Michael and Mary Anne could read and write. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front facing windows and 2 rooms. Ellen owned the land upon which the house was built along with a cow house, piggery and shed.

Hanoria Ryan (61) was a widowed farmer who lived with her three children Michael (30), Delia (28) and John (26). They also lived with their farm servant Martin Fahy (42). All members of the household could read and write, they also all spoke English and Irish. At the time of the census, Hanoria had been married for 29 years. She had 10 children, 5 of whom were still alive in 1911. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 front facing windows. Hanoria owned the land upon which the house was situated along with a stable, cow house, piggery, barn and shed.

Andrew Loughlin (68) was a farmer married to Sarah (53). They lived with their 5 children James (26), Annie (22), Michael (20), Sarah (15) and Martin (7). James and Michael were farmer’s sons. Annie was a seamstress and Martin was a scholar. They could all read and write except for Martin. Andrew, Sarah and James could speak Irish and English; however, the rest of the household only spoke English. At the time of the 1911 census, Andrew and Sarah were married for 34 years, had 13 children, 9 of whom were still alive in 1911. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 front facing windows. Andrew owned the land upon which the house was situated along with a stable, cow house, piggery, and barn.

John Ryan (84) was a widowed farmer who lived with his son Peter (27). Peter’s occupation was recorded as a farmer’s son. They could both read and speak English and Irish. John had 10 children, 3 of whom were still alive in 1911. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms and 1 front facing window. John owned the land upon which the house was situated along with one cow house and one piggery.

Thady Brennan (74) was a farmer married to Ellen (54). They lived with their 6 children Mary (27), John Joe (25), Michael (22), Delia (18), Kathleen (13) and James (12). They also lived with their servant John Glynn (74). All members of the household could read and write. Thady, Ellen and John could speak English and Irish. The rest of the occupants could only speak English. John Joe and Michael’s occupations were recorded as farmer’s sons. Delia was a dairy maid and James was a scholar. At the time of 1911 census, Thady and Ellen Brennan were married for 31 years, had 8 children, 6 of whom were still alive in 1911. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front. Thady owned the land upon which the house was situated along with one stable, cow house and piggery.

William Loughnane (78) was a farmer married to Hanoria (75). They lived with their son Andrew (39), daughter in law Hanoria (40), grandchildren Delia (7), Mary (6) and William (4). Andrew’s occupation was recorded as farmers son. Delia and Mary were scholars and could read. William and Hanoria could not read. Andrew and his wide Hanoria could read and write. The four eldest members of the household could speak English and Irish. The rest of the household could only speak English. At the time of the 1911 census, William and Hanoria were married for 50 years, had 5 children, 4 of whom were still alive in 1911. Andrew and Hanoria were married for 10 years, had 4 children, 3 of whom were still alive in 1911. They lived in a 1st class house with 4 rooms and 7 windows in the front. William owned the land upon which the house was built including a stable, a cow house, a piggery, and a shed.

This page was added on 15/02/2022.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *