Furzypark is in the Civil Parish of Athenry, in the Barony of Athenry.
Irish Name: Páirc na hAitíne
Translation: Park of the Furze
It is situated 1 mile south of Athenry bounded on the North by Gortnahown, West by Mulpit and Newford and the South by Farnablankey East and West (Farnablake)
Other forms of the Name: Furzeparke – changed to Furzypark
Fur Park (Barony map)
Fir Park (County Map)
Fur Park (Vestry Book 1826)
It is named from furze – not fir.
The O’Donovan Field Name Books of the 1860’s say it is the property of Mark Browne, Esq., containing 42.5 Statute acres, all under tillage and forms on its West side the East bounds of Newford Ball Alley, 3 chains South of which is Eel Weir.
1641 Owner was Teige O’Daly (Catholic)
1670 Samuell Ffoxen (Protestant)
The map of this Barony was destroyed in 1711. No copies have, so far, come to light.
Down Survey list 374 acres for Fursy Park.
This gives the land area at the time (1855) in Acres, Roods and Perches 42.1.35 and the total Annual Valuation of Rateable Property in pounds, shillings and pence: £21.15s.0d. Buildings were recorded as 0 value.
The valuations were calculated using pounds, shillings, and pence (£ s d).
There is one recorded occupier named Timothy Cornealy. This Griffith Valuation also gives the Immediate Lessor as William Kelly. There was no description of buildings.
Furzypark was not a named townland for the 1901 or 1911 Census of Population.