Civil Parish: Moyrus
Church Parish: Roundstone
District Electoral Division: Bencorr
Area: 1211.34 acres / 1211 acres, 1 rood, 14 perches
Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Barnanang (no records)
Overview of Barnanang in 1911
The 1911 census shows that there was only the 1 house in Barnanang in 1911 and that it was listed as a private dwelling. The house was constructed of stone, brick or concrete and had slate, iron or tiles for roofing. It was a 2nd class dwelling which has 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. The out buildings consisted of only a stable and there was only 1 person that lived in the townland, a male. The enumerator was Const. Martin Gilmore.
The sole occupant of the only house in Barnanang was Michael (45) who was a Roman Catholic and was born in Co. Galway. He spoke both Irish and English but could not read. His occupation was listed as a shepherd. His house was a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling and he had a stable. The landholder was the Duke of Manchester.
Overview of Barnanang in 1901.
There was only 1 house in the townland of Barnanang according to the 1901 census and was listed as a private dwelling. The house was constructed of stone, brick or concrete and had slate, iron or tiles for roofing. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. The townland had only a cow house as out buildings. There were a total of 9 people living in Barnanang at that time, 5 male and 4 female. The enumerator was Const. Thomas Tuohy.
The head of the Joyce family was Thomas (53) who was married to Mary (40) and they lived with Thomas’ mother, Bridget (98) and 6 of their children, Martin (15), Bridget (13), Mary (11), John (8), Thomas (4) and Michael (2). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English except Thomas (4) and Michael, who only spoke English. Thomas (53), Thomas (4) and Michael could not read, Bridget (98) and John could read only and the rest could all read and write. Thomas was listed as being a farmer, Martin, Bridget (13), Mary, John and Thomas were scholars. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling and they had a cow house. The landholder was Thomas Joyce.
Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) shows that John Robertson leased a herd’s house on 1199 acres, 2 roods and 19 perches of land from John J. Strutzer for £22 for the land and 5s for the herd’s house.
The 1670 Down Survey name for this area was Beananang. The 1641 own was the Earl of Clanrickard, a Protestant and the 1670 owner was also the Earl of Clanrickard. There were 2222 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 26 plantation acres of profitable land and 26 plantation acres were forfeited.