Townland: Dooletter West
Civil Parish: Moyrus
Church Parish: Carna
District Electoral Division: Skannive
Area: 515.89 acres / 515 acres, 3 roods, 21 perches
Baptism and Marriage records for Carna R.C. Parish 1821-1881
1911 Census for Dooletter West (no records)
Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Dooletter West (no records)
Galway Library for Dooletter West
NUI Galway Digital Collections for Dooletter West
1901 Census for Dooletter West
Overview of Dooletter West in 1901.
There was only 1 house in the townland of Dooletter West in 1901 and the house was constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable material for roofing. I was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and 1 window in the front. The were 10 people in the townland, 5 male and 5 female. The enumerator for the area was Michael Sculley.
The head of the only family in the townland was Joe (56) and he was married to Mary (53) and they shared the house with 8 of their children, Mary (24), who was married but there was no mention of her husband, Joe (21), James (19), Pat (17), Bridget (15), Anne (12), Coleman (11) and Winnie (9). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and all could read and write. Joe (56) was listed as being a herd, Mary (53) was a herd’s wife, Mary (24), Bridget, Anne and Winnie were herd’s daughters and Joe (21), James, Pat and Coleman were herd’s sons. The house was a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and the landholder was listed as Martin Mongan of Carna.
Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) for Dooletter West
Patrick Coyne and Jeremiah Coyne jointly leased houses on 480 acres, 2 roods and 31 perches of land from Richard Hynes for £2 10s each for the land and Patrick paid 5s for his house and Jeremiah paid 8s for his house. There were also 38 acres and 1 rood of water in the townland.
1670 Down Survey for Dooletter West
The 1670 Down Survey name for this area was Dullitter. The 1641 owners were Jeffrey Martin and Keadagh Fallon, both being Catholics and in 1670 the owners were the Protestant College of Dublin.
Add a comment about this page