Townland: Birmore Island
Civil Parish: Moyrus
Church Parish: Carna
District Electoral Division: Skannive
Area: 54.90 acres / 54 acres, 3 roods, 24 perches
Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Birmore Island (no records)
Galway Library for Birmore Island (no records)
Overview of Birmore Island in 1911
There was only 1 house in the townland of Birmore Island and that was listed as a private dwelling and was constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. The house was a 3rd class dwelling and had 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front. There was just the one out building, a piggery. The enumerator for the area was Const. Thomas U. Loughlin.
Bartley (55) was the head of the only household in Birmore Island and he had been married to Mary (58) for 30 years and in that time they had had 8 children of which 7 had survived. They shared the house with 5 of those children and they were Bridget (20), Michael (16), John (14), Sarah (10) and Martin (8). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Bridget and Michael spoke Irish and English while the others all spoke only Irish and none of the family could read or write. Bartley was listed as being a herd and Michael and John were listed as herd’s sons. The house was a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and they had a piggery. The landholder was Joseph Cooke.
Overview of Birmore Island in 1901
There were only 2 houses in Birmore Island in1901 and both were occupied and listed as being private dwellings. They were both built of stone, brick or concrete walls and thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. They were both 3rd class dwellings and had 2 rooms and 1 window in the front. There were a total of 17 people, 11 males and 6 females. The enumerator for the area was Const. Daniel Brougham.
The head of the Joyce family in house 1 was Laurence (60) and he was married to Barbara (30) and they shared the house with 6 of their children, Dudley (15), Martin (14), Patrick (13), Joseph (10), Michael (5) and Bridget (8). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All the family spoke only Irish and could not read. Laurence was a shepherd Barbara (30) was a housekeeper, Dudley, Martin and Patrick were fishermen, Michael and Joseph were listed as shepherd’s sons and Bridget was a shepherd’s daughter. The house was a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and Joseph Cooke was the landholder.
The head of the Cloherty family was Bartholmew [sic] (40), who was married to Mary (40) and they lived in the house with 7 of their children, Bartholmew [sic] (19), Patrick (15), Mary (14), Bridget (12), Michael (5), John (4) and Sarah (1). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Bartholmew [sic] (40), Bartholmew [sic] (19) and Patrick spoke both Irish and English but none of the family could read. Bartholmew (40) was a shepherd, Mary (40) was a housekeeper, Bartholmew [sic] (19) and Patrick were fishermen, Mary (14), Bridget and Sarah were shepherd’s daughters and Michael and John were shepherd’s sons. The house was a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and the landholder was Joseph Cooke.
Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) shows that the owners of the townland were the Directors of the Law Life Assurance Co. and James Cooke leased 32 acres, 1 rood and 30 perches of land and paid £16 annually.