Townland: Barnanoraun (Moyrus)
Civil Parish: Moyrus
Church Parish: Roundstone
District Electoral Division: Bencorr
Area: 888.54 acres / 888 acres, 2 roods, 6 perches
Baptism and Marriage records for Roundstone R.C. Parish 1872-1881
Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) for Barnanoraun (no records)
Galway Library for Barnanoraun (Moyrus)
Logainm for Barnanoraun (Moyrus)
NUI Galway Digital Collections for Barnanoraun (Moyrus)
1911 Census for Barnanoraun (Moyrus)
Overview of Barnanoraun (Moyrus) in 1911.
There was only one house in this townland in 1911 and it was a private dwelling. It was a 2nd class dwelling with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. The house was constructed of stone, brick or concrete and had thatch, wood or other perishable material for roofing. The townland had a stable and a cow house and there were a total of 5 people living there, 1 male and 4 female. The enumerator was Const. James Nolan.
Manning (additional surname: Coyne)
The head of the Manning family was John (55) who was married to Bridget (36) and they had been married for 6 years and in that time they had had 2 children and they both had survived. They shared the house with their children Delia (5) and Eliza (3) and also John’s mother-in-law, Bridget Coyne (70). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Apart from Delia and Eliza they all spoke both Irish and English but only John and Bridget (36) could read and write. Both John and Bridget (70) were listed as being farmers. The house they shared was a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling and they has a stable and a cow house. John Manning was the landholder.
1901 Census for Barnanoraun (Moyrus)
Overview of Barnanoraun (Moyrus) in 1901.
The 1901 census shows that there were 3 houses in the townland at that time and all were recorded as being private dwellings. All 3 were 3rd class dwellings and 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front. They were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. The enumerator’s abstract return shows that there were a total of 19 people living in Barnanoraun (Moyrus) at that time, 10 male and 9 female. The enumerator was Const. Thos Tuohy.
The head of the King family in house 1 was the widow Honor (70) and she lived with her son, Thomas (30) and her daughter-in-law, Margaret (30) and also her nephew Patrick (2mths). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English except baby Patrick and only Thomas and Honor could read and write. Honor and Margaret were listed as being a farmer’s wives and Thomas was a farmer. They shared a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and Thomas King was the landholder.
The head of this King family was Myles (40) who was married to Anne (37) and they lived with 7 of their children, Michael (17), Maggie (15), John (12), Myles (10), Thomas (7), Patrick (4) and Mary E. (1). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Myles (40) spoke both Irish and English but the rest of the family all spoke only English. Patrick and Mary E. could not read, Thomas could read only and the rest could all read and write. Myles (40) was listed as being a farmer and Michael, Maggie, John, Myles (10) and Thomas were scholars. They all shared a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and the landholder was Myles King.
The head of this Gibbons family was the widow Eliza (50). She lived with 5 of her children, John (21), Nora (17), Eliza (14), Michael (13) and Barbara (10). They were all Roman Catholic and Nora and Eliza (14) were born in Co. Mayo and the rest in Co. Galway. All spoke both Irish and English and all could read and write. Eliza (40) was a housekeeper, John was a carpenter, Nora had no occupation and the other 3 were scholars. They all live in a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and Thomas King was the landholder.
Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Barnanoraun (Moyrus)
Elizabeth King – Application No. C/15 1300 and the application was received on 23/02/1915. The address given at that time was Mrs. Elizabeth Gibbons, Barnorane, Toonbeola, Co. Galway. Elizabeth’s parent’s names were given as Michael and Honor King. The address in 1851 was given as Barnanoraun, in the parish of Moyrus, in the barony of ballinahinch, Co. Galway. The search was returned on 24/02/1915 with a hand written note saying “A sheet with Michael King as head of family with one daughter, one year and six months but the sheet is too mutilated to obtain any further (?). Married 1848.” There was a memo that was hand written and ran into a second page and read as follows:
Herein please find 2/- returned to you. A return has been found for the family of Michael King in Barnanoraun, C.P. etc. Unfortunately the return has been mutilated and there only remains writing to prove that Michael King was the head of the family. He is returned as aged 23 and his wife, whom he married in 1848, is returned as aged 23. One daughter is entered on the return and her age is given as 1 year and 6 months. The paper on which should appear the name of this child and there of her father and mother has been torn off. This information may be of some assistance to you if you are able to prove that you are the eldest daughter, and thus the entry which is partially preserved on the census return refers to you.
1670 Down Survey for Barnanoraun (Moyrus)
The 1670 Down Survey name for this area was Bearnenoran. At this time Barnanoraun was considered to be one townland and not divided into Moyrus and Omey, but considered to be in the Civil Parish of Omey. The 1641 owner was Murragh Na Mart O’Flaharty, a Catholic and the 1670 owners were James Darcy and Richard Martin, both also Catholics. There 1215 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 94 plantation acres of profitable land and 94 plantation acres were forfeited.
Add a comment about this page