Doire an Chláir
Roger Harrison / Forum Connemara
Civil Parish: Moyrus
Church Parish: Roundstone
District Electoral Division: Bencorr
Area: 2529.38 acres / 2529 acres, 1 rood, 20 perches
1911 Census for Derryclare (no records)
1901 Census for Derryclare (no records)
Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Derryclare (no records)
Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) shows that the Directors of the Law Life Assurance Co. had a fishing lodge on 2383 acres, 2 roods and 21 perches of land which had annual ratable valuation of £9 for the land and £1 5s for the lodge. There were also 147 acres and 3 roods of water. The Directors of the Law Life Assurance Co. also owned 5 islands with no agricultural value of 3 roods and 10 perches.
The 1670 Down Survey names for this townland were Dereiregh (Laughavoye, Shanackenonule, Glenan, Byrh & Inishmiskry, Clunely, Glannarud, Knockanevodda and Shannacourragh. The 1641 owner was Ferdinando Follin, a Catholic and in 1670 the owners were Richard Martin, a Catholic and the Protestant Sir Thomas Meredith.