Civil Parish: Moyrus
Church Parish: Roundstone
District Electoral Division: Moyrus
Area: 895.11 acres / 895 acres, 0 roods, 16 perches
Baptism and Marriage records for Roundstone R.C. Parish 1872-1881
NUI Galway Digital Collections for Cloonisle
1911 Census for Cloonisle
Overview of Clooisle in 1911
The census of 1911 shows that there were 2 houses in Cloonisle at that time. Both were occupied and listed as private dwellings. Both were constructed of stone, brick or concrete and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. House 1 was a 4th class dwelling and house 2 was a 2nd class. House 1 had 1 room and no windows and house 2 had 2 rooms and 3 windows. There were a total of 4 out buildings consisting of a stable, a coach house, a cow house and a piggery. There were a total of 11 people living in the townland at that time, 6 male and 5 female. The enumerator for the area was Const. John Kelly.
The widow Mary (42) was the head of the first house and she lived with her children, Thomas (20), Dudley (18), Michael (16), Patrick (13), Martin (11) and Ellen (9). They were all Roman Catholic and were born in Co. Galway. Mary, Thomas, Dudley and Michael spoke both Irish and English but there was nothing entered for the others, which could indicate that they only spoke English. Apart from Mary, they could all read and write. Patrick, Martin and Ellen were listed as being scholars. The house they lived in was a single roomed, 4th class dwelling with a piggery and the landholder was John Coyne.
Coyne (additional surname: Varley)
The head of the second house was John (29) who had been married to Delia (25) for 4 years and in that time they had had 1 child, who had survived. They shared the house with that child, Ethel (1) and also a niece, Bridget Varley (8). All were Roman Catholic and John was born in Gortlebra (?), Galway, Delia and Bridget were born in Glenbrickin, Galway and Ethel was born in Panama, America. Apart from Ethel, they all spoke both Irish and English and could read and write. John was a farmer and Bridget was a scholar. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling with a stabel, coach house and a cow house. John Coyne was the landholder.
1901 Census for Cloonisle
Overview of Cloonisle in 1901
The census of 1901 shows that there were 2 houses in the townland of Cloonisle. Both houses were occupied and were listed as being private dwellings. House 1 was a 2nd class dwelling and house 2 was a 3rd class. Both houses were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. House 2 rooms and 3 windows and house 2 had 1 room and 1 window. The enumerator’s abstract return (form N) shows that there were 10 people in the townland at that time, 8 male and 2 female. The enumerator for the area was Const. Michael Begley.
The head of this family in house 1 was Thomas (62) and he was married to Maggy (45) and they shared the house with a servant, Thos (26). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. They all spoke Irish and English and and could read and write. Thomas was a farmer and Thos was a farm labourer. The house they all lived in was a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling. Thomas Canavan was the landholder.
Patrick (33) was head of the second house in cloonisle and he was married to Mary (33). They shared the house with 5 of their sons, Thomas (10), Dudley (8), Michael (6), Patrick (4) and Martin (1). They were all Roman Catholic and were born in Co. Galway. Patrick (33), Mary, Thomas and Dudley spoke both Irish and English but there was nothing entered under that heading for the other children so that could indicate that they only spoke English. Patrick (33) and Thomas could read and write, Dudley could read only and the others could not read. Patrick (33) was a farmer and herd, Thomas, Dudley and Michael were scholars and Martin was listed as being an infant. The house they all shared was a 1 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and Thomas Canavan was the landholder.
Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Cloonisle
Thomas Mannion – Application No. C/21 604. The application was received on 24th January 1921 and the address at that time was Mr Val Mannion, Cloonisle, Toombeola, Co. Galway. Thomas’ parents were given as Michael and Mary Mannion (King). The 1851 address was given as Cloonisle, Derryadd, in the Parish of Moyrus, in the Barony of Ballynahinch, Co. Galway. The search was returned on 27th January 1921 with the words “Not found”
Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) for Cloonisle
Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) shows that The Directors of the Law Life Assurance Co. were the immediate lessors in the townland. They had 904 acres and 11 perches of land with an annual ratable valuation of £30 for the land and 10s for a herd’s house. They leased a house to John Lee for 6s annually.
1670 Down Survey for Cloonisle
The 1670 Down Survey name for this area was Creaghane & Cloonmeele. The 1641 owner was the Catholic Richard Martin but there was no 1670 owner listed. There were 10 plantation acres of profitable land and 10 plantation acres were forfeited.
Add a comment about this page