Townland: Illaungorm South
Civil Parish: Moyrus
Church Parish: Carna
District Electoral Division: Owengowla
Area: 23.59 acres / 23 acres, 2 roods, 13 perches
1911 Census for Illaungorm South (no records)
1670 Down Survey for Illaungorm South (no records)
Overview of Illaungorm in 1901.
There were 2 houses in the townland of Illaungorm according to the census of 1901 and both were listed as private dwellings. Both were built of Stone, brick or concrete and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. Both the houses were 3rd class dwellings and had 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front. There were a total of 9 people in the townland, 5 male and 4 female. The enumerator was Const. Michael Begley.
The head of the family in house 1 was Mark (60) and he was married to Kate (60) and they lived with 4 of their children, Simon (21), Anne (17), McDara (14) and John (7). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English except Kate, who spoke only Irish and there was nothing listed for John. Mark and Kate could not read but all the other members of the family could all read and write. Mark was a farmer and a herd, Simon and McDara were farmer’s sons, Anne was a farmer’s daughter and John was a scholar. They all lived in a 2 roomed 3rd class dwelling and the landholder was Thomas Hazell.
Connolly (additional surname: Green)
The head of the family in house 2 was Michael (60) and he was married to Mary (60) and also in the house was Penelope Green (58). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke only Irish and none of them could read. Michael was a farmer and Penelope was listed as having no occupation. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and Thomas Hazell was the landholder.
Bridget Conroy – Application No. C17 2255. The application was received on 12/03/1917 and had an address of Mrs. Bridget Nee, Ardnagreevagh, Renvyle, Co. Galway. Her Parents names were given as Michael and Bridget Conroy. The application was returned on 15/03/1917.
According to the Griffiths Valuation (1847-1864), The Directors of the Law Life Assurance Co. owned land in Illaungorm South. This land was rented to Thomas Hazell. Thomas Hazell rented a total of 12 acres, 3 roods and 11 perches. For this land £3 and 10s was paid annually.