Civil Parish: Moyrus
Church Parish: Carna
District Electoral Division: Skannive
Area: 542.48 acres / 542 acres, 1 rood, 37 perches
Baptism and Marriage records for Carna R.C. Parish 1821-1881
Galway Library for Shannadonnell
NUI Galway Digital Collections for Shannadonnell
1911 Census for Shannadonnell
Overview of Shannadonnell in 1911.
There were a total of 2 house in the townland and both were occupied and listed as being private dwellings. They were both built of stone, brick or concrete walls and thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. Both were 3rd class dwellings and had 2 rooms and 2 windows. There were a total 3 out buildings consisting of 2 cow houses and a calf house. There were 12 people living in Shannadonnell, 6 male and 6 female. The enumerator for the area was Constable Thomas U. Loughlin.
Ridge (additional surname: Cooke)
The head of this family was the widow Anne (62) and she shared the house with 4 of her children and they were Thomas (29), Michael (24), Catherine (20) and Sarah (16) and also in the house at that time was a visitor, Joseph Cooke (23). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English except Anne, who only spoke Irish. Anne and Sarah could not read and the others could all rea and write. Thomas, Michael and Joseph were all listed as being farmer’s sons. The house was a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and they had a cow house and a calf house. The landholder was Anne Ridge.
Festy (41) was the head of this family and he had been married to Bridget (38) for 6 years and they had had 6 children but only 4 had survived. They shared the house with those 4 children and they were Delia (5), Peter Joseph (3), Mary (2) and Martin (4mths). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Festy, Bridget and Delia all spoke Irish and English and only Bridget could read and write. Festy was a farmer and Delia, Peter Joseph and Mary were scholars. The house was a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling with a cow house. Festy Ridge was the landholder.
1901 Census for Shannadonnell
Overview of Shannadonnell in 1901
The 1901 census shows that there was only one house in the townland and that it was occupied and a private dwelling. The house was built of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable material for roofing. It was a 2nd class dwelling and had 2 rooms and 3 windows.
Joyce (additional surname: Ridge)
Thomas (95) was listed as the head of this family and he was married to Mary (82) and they shared the house with their son-in-law, Thomas Ridge (62), their daughter, Anne Ridge (52) and their grandchildren, Festus Ridge (30), Anne Ridge (25), Thomas Ridge (18), Maggie Ridge (15), Michael Ridge (13), Hannah Ridge (10), Catherine Ridge (10) and Sarah Ridge (6). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English. Thomas Joyce, Thomas Ridge (62), Anne Ridge (52), Anne Ridge (25) and Sarah Ridge could not read but all the others could read and write. Thomas (95) and Thomas Ridge were farmers, Anne Ridge (52) was a housekeeper, Festus Ridge and Thomas Ridge (18) were Farmer’s sons, Anne Ridge (25) and Maggie Ridge were farmer’s daughters and Michael Ridge, Hannah Ridge and Catherine Ridge were scholars. The house was a 2 roomed 2nd class dwelling and Thomas Joyce was the landholder.
Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Shannadonnell
Anne Joyce – Application No. C/17 3797. Ref. Cen S/11/357. The application was received on 15th May 1917 with an address at that time of Mrs. Anne Ridge, Shannadonel [sic], Cashel Co. Galway. Anne’s parents were given as Honor and Mary Joyce. The residence in 1851 was given as Shannadonnell, Boheeshal, in the Parish of Moyrus, in the Barony of Ballynahinch, Co. Galway. The search was returned on 16th May 1917 and Anne was awarded a 2s pension.
Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) for Shannadonnell
John J. Strutzer leased 519 acres and 2 perches of mountain land from Nicholas Lynch for £4 10s. there were also 11 acres, 3 roods and 5 perches of water in the townland.
1670 Down Survey for Shannadonnell
The 1670 Down Survey name for this area was Carme & Sydogh. The 1641 owner was the Catholic, Jeffry Martin and in 1670 the owner was Richard Martin, also a Catholic.
Add a comment about this page