Illion East

An Uillinn Thoir

Roger Harrison / Forum Connemara

Townland:                                 Illion East

Civil Parish:                              Moyrus

Barony:                                     Ballynahinch

Church Parish:                         Roundstone

District Electoral Division:    Illion

Area:                                         1516 acres, 1 rood, 35 perches

 

Baptism and Marriage records for Roundstone R.C. Parish 1872-1881

Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Illion East (no records)

Griffiths Valuation (1847-1864) for Illion East (no records)

Map

Galway Library for Illion East

Logainm for Illion East

NUI Galway Digital Collections for Illion East

 

1911 Census for Illion East

Overview of Illion East in 1911.

There was just the 1 house in the townland of Illion East and it was listed as being a private dwelling and constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials. The enumerator for the area was Const. Patrick Gildea.

 

Joyce

The head of the only household in Illion East was the widower, Michael (74), who had been married for 46 years and had had 10 children, all of whom had survived. He lived in the house with 4 of those children, Thomas (27), Margaret (21), Michael (19) and Martin (18) and also in the house at that time was a nephew, John (16). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English, with the exception of Michael (74), who only spoke Irish. Michael (74) could not read but all the others could read and write. Michael (74) was a farmer, Thomas was a labourer and Michael (19), Martin and John were listed as being scholars. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house, a calf house, a piggery and a barn. The landholder was Michael Joyce.

 

1901 Census for Illion East

There was just the 1 house in the townland of Illion East and it was listed as being a private dwelling and constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials. The enumerator for the area was Const. Martin Fahy.

 

Joyce                                                                           (additional surname: Staunton)

The head of the only family in Illion East was the widower, Michael (55) who lived in the house with 6 of his children, Patk (18), Thos (16), Honor (15), Margaret (13), Michael (10) and Martin (7) and also in the house at that time were a grandson, John (2) and a housekeeper, Mary Staunton (80). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Mary spoke only Irish, Martin and John spoke only English and the others could all speak both Irish and English. Michael (55), Martin, John and Mary could not read while all the others could read and write. Michael (55) was a farmer, Patk and Thos were farmer’s sons, Honor and Margaret were farmer’s daughters and Michael (10) and Martin were scholars. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 1 room and the landholder was Michael Joyce.

 

1670 Down Survey for Illion East

The Down Survey name for this area was Ilandoghby [sic]. The owner in 1641 was the Catholic, Connor Oge O’Downe and in 1670 the owner was John Brown, a Protestant.

This page was added on 26/06/2020.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *