Civil Parish: Moyrus
Church Parish: Roundstone
District Electoral Division: Moyrus
Area: 1082.64 acres / 1082 acres, 2 roods, 21 perches
Overview of Rosroe in 1911
According to the 1911 census there was only 1 house in the townland of Rosroe. The house was a private dwelling and was a 3rd class house. It was built of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable material for roofing. The house had 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front. There was only 1 out building, a cow house. The enumerator’s abstract return (form N) shows that there was only 1 male person living in the townland at that time. The enumerator for the area was Const. John Kelly.
Matthias (23) was the sole occupant of this house and he was a Roman Catholic and was born in Co. Galway. He spoke both Irish and English and could read and write. He was listed as being a farmer. The house he lived in was a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and he had a cow house. The landholder was listed as being Thomas King.
Overview of Rosroe in 1901
The only house in Rosroe in 1901 was a private dwelling and was occupied. It was built of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. It was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and 2 windows. There were 6 people in total, 2 male and 3 female. The enumerator for the area was Const. Michael Begley.
Michael (70) was the head of this family and he was married to Sarah (50) and they shared the house with 4 of their children, Matthew (12), Mary (22), Anne (17) and Bridget (9). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English with Michael not being able to read, Bridget was able to read only and the others were able to read and write. Michael was a farmer and herd, Matthew was a farmer’s son and Mary, Anne and Bridget were farmer’s daughters. The house they lived in was a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and the landholder was Honor King.
Patrick Welsh – Application No. C/15 976. The application was received on 9th Feb 1915 with an address at that time of Mr. Terence O’Connor, Grocer, 76 Monkton Road, Jarrow. There were no parents provided but there were 2 uncles, Michael and Martin Welsh. The 1851 address was Rosroe, in the Parish of Moyrus, in the Barony of Ballynahinch, Co. Galway. The search was returned on 15 Feb 1915 with the handwritten note saying; “Found James Walsh head not married [?] “relative” Pat Walsh 10 yrs, Martin Walsh brother to head “
James Crawford leased 1041 acres, 3 roods and 33 perches of land with a herds house from the Directors of the Law Life Assurance Co. for £70 for then land and 8s for the herds house. There were also 7 acres, 3 roods and 10 perches of water in the townland.
The 1670 Down Survey name for this area was Roscro & Littercanshee. The 1641 owner was Murragh O’Flaharty, a Catholic and in 1670 Richard Martin, also a Catholic, was the owner. There were 1131 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 59 plantation acres of profitable land and there were 59 plantation acres of land that were forfeited.