Emlaghdauroe

Imleach Dhá Rú

Roger Harrison / Forum Connemara

My location
Get Directions

Townland:                                  Emlaghdauroe

Civil Parish:                                Moyrus

Barony:                                       Ballynahinch

Church Parish:                           Roundstone

District Electoral Division:     Bencorr

Area:                                           652.57 acres / 652 acres, 2 roods, 11 perches

 

Baptism and Marriage records for Roundstone R.C. Parish 1872-1881

Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Emlaghdauroe  (no records)

Griffith’s valuation (1847-1864) for Emlaghdauroe  (no records)

Map

Galway Library for Emlaghdauroe

Logainm for Emlaghdauroe

NUI Galway Digital Collections for Emlaghdauroe

 

1911 Census for Emlaghdauroe

Overview of Emlaghdauroe in 1911.

There were 4 houses listed in the 1911 census for Emlaghdauroe and house 4 was the Emlaghdauroe Irish Mission School and the others were all private dwellings. All the houses were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and house 2 had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing while the other 3 houses all had slate, iron or tiled roofs. They were all listed as 2nd class dwellings and house 4 had 3 rooms and 2 windows in the front while the others all had 2 rooms and 3 windows. The out-offices and farm-steadings return (form B2) shows that there were a total of 11 out buildings in the townland consisting of 4 stables, 4 cow houses, a calf house and 2 car houses. The enumerator’s abstract return (form N) shows that there were a total of 23 people living in the townland, 13 male and 10 female. The enumerator for the area was Const. Martin Gilmore.

 

Joyce 

House 1 was home to the Joyce family and they had the widower, Thomas (76) as the head of the family. He shared the house with his son, John (38), daughter-in-law, Mary (35) and 2 daughters, Mary (34) and Bridget (19). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English and all the family could read and write. Thomas was listed as being a farmer, John, a farmer’s son and Mary (34) and Bridget were farmer’s daughters. They all shared a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling with a stable, cow house and a car house. Thomas Joyce was the landholder.

 

Joyce

House 2 was also a Joyce home and the head of this family was James (53) and he was married to Norah (38) and had been for 16 years and in that time they had had 10 children with 8 of those surviving. Those 8 children all live with them and they were Eliza (14), Michael (12), John (11), Patrick (8), Bridget (7), James (6), Richard (3) and Margrate (sic) (1). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. James (53) and Norah spoke both Irish and English but there was nothing entered for the others which could indicate that they only spoke English. Richard and Margrate (sic) could not read but all the others could read and write. James was listed as being a farmer and Eliza, Michael, John, Patrick, Bridget and James (6) were all scholars. They all shared a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling with a stable, a cow house and a car house. James Joyce was the landholder.

 

Joyce 

The 3rd house in Emlaghdauroe was also a Joyce home and the head of this family was the widow Mary (68) and she shared the house with her 2 sons, John (38) and Martin (25). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English but only John and Martin could read and write. John was a gamekeeper and Martin was a farmer’s son. They all shared a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling and they had a stable and a cow house. Mary Joyce was the landholder.

 

Lougheed                              (additional surname: Sharpe)

The head of the Lougheed family was William B. (58) who had been married to Elizabeth A. (56) for 30 years and in that time they had had 9 children and all of those had survived. They shared the house with their son, Meredith M. (21), their daughter, Mary J. (19) and a nephew, Francis H. Sharpe (12). All of the family were members of the Irish Church and William B., Meredith M. and Mary J. were born in Co. Sligo, Elizabeth A. was born in Co. Tyrone and Francis H. was born in Co. Mayo. They could all read and write but there was nothing entered under the Irish Language heading, so that could mean that they only spoke English. William B. was a school master and Meredith M, Mary J. and Francis H. were all scholars. They all shared a 3 roomed, 2nd class dwelling and they had a stable, a cow house and a calf house. William B. Lougheed was the landholder.

 

1901 Census for Emlaghdauroe

Overview of Emlaghdauroe in 1901.

According to the 1901 census there were 5 houses in the townland at this time. All the houses were listed as private dwellings. House 5 was only built of mud, wood or other perishable material for walls and thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. Houses 1-4 were built of stone, brick or concrete walls with house 4 having thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing and the others, having slate, iron or tiled roofs. House 5 was a 4th class dwelling with the others for being all 2nd class. House 1 had 1 room and no windows, House 1 had 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front, houses 3 and 4 had 2 rooms and 3 windows and house 2 had 3 rooms and 2 windows. The enumerator’s abstract return (form N) shows that there were a total of 28 people, 14 each of male and female. The enumerator for the townland was Const. Thomas Tuohy.

 

Joyce 

The head of the first house in Emlaghdauroe was the widow Mary (51) and she shared the house with 3 of her children, John (26), Jane (19) and Martin (17). All were born in Co. Galway and were Catholick (sic). All spoke both Irish and English and, apart from Mary, they could all read and write. Mary was listed as being a farmer’s wife, John, a gamekeeper, Jane, a farmer’s daughter and martin, a farmer’s son. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling and Mary Joyce was the landholder.

 

Lougheed 

The head of the Lougheed family was William B. (48) and he was married to Lizzy (46) and they lived with 6 of their children, John M. (17), William G. (12), Meredith M. (10), Mary J. (8), Dora K. (6) and Annie G. (5). All were members of the Church of Ireland and Lizzie was born in Co. Tyrone and the rest were born in Co. Sligo. Annie G. could read only but all the others could all read and write. There was nothing entered under the language heading so that could indicate that they all only spoke English. William B. was a school master, Lizzie was a housekeeper and all the children were scholars. They all lived in a 3 roomed, 2nd class dwelling and William Lougheed was the landholder.

 

Joyce                         (additional surname: Keane)

The head of this Joyce family was Thomas (65) and he was married to Mary (50) and they shared the house with 5 of their children, John (32), Mary Anne (28), Michael (24), Eliza (15) and Bridget (12). Also in the house at that time was Thomas’ brother-in-law, John Keane (40). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English and Thomas could not read, Mary could read only and the other members of the family could all read and write. Thomas was a farmer, John (32) and Michael were farmer’s sons, Mary Anne and Eliza were farmer’s daughters and John Keane was a farmer DC. They all shared a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling and Thomas Joyce was the landholder.

 

Joyce 

House 4 was yet another house with a Joyce family and the head of this family was the widow Eliza (77) and she lived with her son, James (40), her daughter-in-law, Honor (28) and 3 of her grandchildren, Eliza (4), Michael (2) and John (9mths). Eliza (77) was born in Queens County[i] and the rest were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. James and Honor spoke both Irish and English and both Eliza’s spoke only English. Only Eliza (77), James and Honor could read and write. James was a farmer Eliza (4), Michael and John were listed as infants. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling and James Joyce was the landholder.

 

Joyce

The head of the family in the last house in Emlaghdauroe was Thomas (67) and he lived with his wife Mary (63). Both were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Both spoke both Irish and English and neither of them could read. Thomas was a farmer. they lived in single roomed, 4th class dwelling and Thomas Joyce was the landholder.

 

1670 Down Survey for Emlaghdauroe

The 1670 Down Survey names for this area were Urrasebeg, Litter Veark, Ehariknock, Sheanbeenon, Allice, Erouellough and Ballynumgan Mountain. The 1641 owner was Murragh O’Flaharty and in 1670 the owners were Richard Martin and Thomas Lynch, both Catholics and the Protestant Edward Browne. There were 2659 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 258 plantation acres of profitable land and 258 plantation acres were forfeited.

[i] County Laois.

This page was added on 11/06/2018.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *