Author: Roger Harrison / Forum Connemara
Civil Parish: Moyrus
Church Parish: Clifden
District Electoral Division: Derrycunlagh
Area: 2130.52 acres / 2130 acres, 2 roods, 2 perches
Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Derrycunlagh (no records)
Overview of Derrycunlagh in 1911
There was only 1 house in Derrycunlagh in 1911 and it was occupied and was listed as being a private dwelling. The house was constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had a thatch, wood or other perishable material roof. I was a 3rd class house and had between 2 and 4 rooms.
Patrick (63) was the head of the only family in Derrycunlagh and he was married to Catherine (62) and had been for 30 years and in that time they had had 7 children and they had all survived. They shared the house with 5 of their children and they were Mary (25), John (22), Ellen (19), Michael (16) and Margaret (14). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English Patrick could not read, Catherine could read only and the children could all read and write. Patrick was a shepherd, John was an agricultural labourer and Michael and Margaret were scholars. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a cow house. Michael McDonagh was the landholder.
Overview of Derrycunlagh in 1901
There was only 1 house in Derrycunlagh in 1901 and it was listed as being a private dwelling and was constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. It was a 3rd class house and had between 2 and 4 rooms and 2 windows in the front. Const. John Ryan was enumerator.
Michael (60) was the head of this family and he was married to Mary (56) and they shared the house with their son Patrick (23) and their daughter, Bridget (20). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English but only Bridget could read and write. Michael and Patrick were shepherds. The house was a 3rd class dwelling and they had between 2 and 4 rooms. The landholder was Mary McDonagh of Derrylea, Clifden.
John Cowey (sic) leased 1697 acres, 3 roods and 38 perches of land from The Directors of the Law Life Assurance Company for £10 annually and there were 430 acres, 1 rood and 39 perches of water in the townland.
The 1670 Down Survey names for this area were Dereiregh, Laughavoye, Shanackenonule, Glenan, Byrh & Inishmiskry, Clunely, Glannarud, Knockanevodda and Shannacourragh. The 1641 owner was the Catholic, Ferdinando Follin and in 1670 the owners were the Catholic Richard Martin and the Protestant, Sir Thomas Meredith.