Derryadd West

Doire Fhada Thiar

Roger Harrison / Forum Connemara

Townland:                                  Derryadd West

Civil Parish:                                Moyrus

Barony:                                       Ballynahinch

Church Parish:                           Roundstone

District Electoral Division:     Bencorr

Area:                                          1413.82 acres / 1413 acres, 3 roods, 11 perches

 

Baptism and Marriage records for Roundstone R.C. Parish 1872-1881

Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Derryadd West  (no records)

Map

Galway Library for Derryadd West

Logainm for Derryadd West

NUI Galway Digital Collections for Derryadd West

 

1911 Census for Derryadd West

Overview of Derryadd West in 1911.

The 1911 census shows that there were 9 houses in Derryadd West and all of those were occupied with house 1 being a public house, house 7 being a shop and all the rest were listed as private dwellings. They were all constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and houses 1 and 3 had slate, iron or tiled roofs and the rest had only thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. House 3 was a 1st class dwelling, house 1 was a 2nd class dwelling and the other houses were all 3rd class. House 6 had 2 rooms and 1 window in the front, houses, 2, 4, 5, and 7-9 has 2 rooms and 2 windows, house 1 had 2 rooms and 4 windows and house 3 has 6 rooms and 14 windows. The out-offices and farm-steadings return (form B2) shows that there were a total of 24 out buildings in the townland consisting of 4 stables, 11 cow houses, 3 piggeries, a fowl house, 2 turf houses, a store and a log house. The enumerator’s abstract return (form N) shows that there were a total of 49 people living in Derryadd West, 26 male and 23 female. The enumerator for the area was Constable John Kelly.

 

Nee                              (additional surname: Clancy)

The head of the first house in Derryadd West was Peter (26) and he lived with his sister Margaret (19), his brother-in-law, Martin Clancy (38) who had been married to Peter’s sister Mary Clancy (32) for 8 years but they had no children. All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Martin and Mary spoke both Irish and English but there was nothing entered for Peter and Margaret, so that may indicate that they only spoke English. All could read and write. Peter was a shop keeper and Martin was a boarder. They lived in a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling and they had a stable and a store. The landholder was Peter Nee.

 

Ward 

The head of the Ward family was the widower John (69) and he lived with 3 of his children Patrick (25), Katie (22) and Delia (18). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English and all could read and write. John was a farmer, Patrick was listed as a farmer’s son and Katie was listed as a farmer’s daughter. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and they had a stable, 2 cow houses and a piggery. John Ward was the landholder.

 

Gamble

The sole occupant of house 3 was the widow Teresa (38) who had had 1 child and who was a member of the Church of Ireland and was born in Co. Down. She could read and write and was a housekeeper. She lived in a 6 roomed, 1st class dwelling and had a cow house, a fowl house and 2 turf houses. The landholder was Arnold Mathews.

 

Flaherty                                  (additional surname: Galvin)

The head of the family was Patrick (40) who had been married to Annie (45) for 12 years and in that time they had had 3 children and 2 of those had survived. They lived with those 2 children, Joseph (8) and Mary Agnes (7) and also in the house was a relative, Francis Galvin (65). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic, except Francis, who was born in Kings County[i]. Patrick, Annie and Francis spoke both Irish and English and all, except Mary Agnes, could read and write. Patrick was a farmer, Joseph and Mary Agnes were scholars and Francis was a labourer. They all shared a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and they had a cow house and piggery. The landholder was Patrick Flaherty.

 

Walsh 

The head of the family in house 5 was Michael (60) who had been married to Honor (52) for 26 years and in that time they had had 8 children and 7 of those had survived. They shared the house with 4 of their sons, Michael (18), Thomas (13), Patrick (9) and Peter (6). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English except Peter. Only Michael (18), Thomas and Patrick could read and write. Michael (60) was a farmer, Michael (18) was a farmer’s son and Thomas, Patrick and Peter were scholars. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling with a cow house. Michael Walsh was the landholder.

 

Halloran 

The head of this Halloran family was Joseph (46) who had been married to Margaret (45) for 15 years and in that time they had had 6 children and all of those had survived. They lived with those 6 children and they were Thomas (14), Michael (12), Mary (9), Annie (5), Martin (3) and Bridget (2mths). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Joseph and Margaret spoke both Irish and English but there was nothing entered for the others so that could indicate that they only spoke English. Martin and Bridget could not read but the others could all read and write. Joseph was a farmer, Thomas was listed as being a farmer’s son and Michael, Mary and Annie were scholars. They lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and they had a cow house. Joseph Halloran was the landholder.

 

Conneely

The head of this Conneely family was James (41) who was married to Mary Anne (33) and had been for 17 years and in that time they had had 8 children and 6 of those had survived. Five of those children lived with them at that time and they were Joseph (9), Mary (7), Annie (5), Patrick (3) and Ellen (10mths). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. James could speak both Irish and English but there was nothing entered for the others which could mean that they only spoke English. Patrick and Ellen could not read but the others could all read and write. James was a shopkeeper and Joseph, Mary and Annie were scholars. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and they had 2 cow houses and a piggery. James Conneely was the landholder.

 

Conneely                             (additional surname: Walsh)

The head of the family in house 8 was Michael (50) and he lived with his sisters, Annie (30) and Mary (27), his brother, William (28), his niece, Maggie (15) and a servant, John Walsh (15). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English and they could all read and write. Michael was a farmer, Maggie was a scholar and John was a general servant. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and they had a stable, 2 cow houses and a log house. Michael Conneely was the landholder.

 

Mannion                                  (additional surname: Grady)

The head of the last house in Derryadd West was Val (50) who had been married to Bridget (54) for 18 years and in that time they had had 6 children and 5 of those had survived. They shared the house with those 5 children and they were Michael (17), Maggie (15), Bridget (14), Thomas (12) and John (10) and also in the house at that time was a relative, Julia Grady (80). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Julia spoke only Irish, there was nothing entered for John so that could mean he only spoke English and the rest all spoke both Irish and English. Julia could not read but the others could all read and write. Val was a farmer, Michael was a farmer’s son and Thomas and John were scholars. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and they had a stable, a cow house and a log house. Val Mannion was the landholder.

 

1901 Census for Derryadd West

Overview of Derryadd West in 1901.

The 1901 census shows that there were a total of 10 houses in Derryadd West with house 10 being unoccupied but landholder was Richard Berridge. They were all listed as being private dwellings. They were all construct of stone, brick or concrete walls with house 4 having slate, iron or tiled roofing and the rest having thatch, wood or other perishable material for roofing. Houses 1 and 4 were 2nd class dwellings and the rest were 3rd class dwellings. Houses 3, 5 and 7 had just the 1 room and 1 window, houses 2, 6, 8 and 9 had 2 rooms and 2 windows, house 1 had 2 rooms and 3 windows and house 4 had 2 rooms and 4 windows. There were a total of 43 people living in the townland, 23 male and 20 female. The enumerator was Const. Michael Begley.

 

Mannion                                 (additional surnames: Grady and King)

The head of the first house in Derryadd West was Valentine (40) and he was married to Delia (40) and they shared the house with 5 of their children, Michael (7), Margaret (6), Bridget (4), Thomas (3) and John (1) and also in the house were 2 servants, Julia Grady (70) and Martin King (50). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Valentine, Delia, Michael, Julia and martin could speak both Irish and English but there was nothing recorded for the others under that heading so they may have only spoken English. Only Valentine, Delia, Michael and martin could read and write although Margaret could read only. Valentine was a farmer, Julia was a cook domestic servant, martin was a farm servant, Michael, Margaret and Bridget were scholars and Thomas and John were listed as being infants. They all shared a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling and Valentine Mannion was the landholder.

 

Walsh 

The head of the family in house 2 was Michael (41) and his wife Honor (38) who shared their house with 6 of their children, Mary (12), Anne (10), Michael (8), John (6), Thomas (3) and Patrick (2mths). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English except Thomas and baby Patrick. Only Mary, Anne, Michael (8) and John could read and write. Michael (41) was a farmer, Mary, Anne, Michael (10) and John were scholars and Thomas and Patrick were listed as being infants. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and Michael Walsh was the landholder.

 

Galvin

The sole occupant of house 3 was Francis (35). He was a Roman Catholic and was born in Kings County[ii]. He spoke both Irish and English but could not read. He was listed as being a farmer and he lived in a 1 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and Francis Galvin was the landholder.

 

Nee 

The head of this Nee family was the widow Mary (47) and she lived with 7 of her children, Mary (20), John (19), Sarah (17), Peter (16), Joseph (14), Martin (12) and Margaret (8). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English and they could all read and write except Mary (41), who could read only. Mary (41) was a farmer and publican, Mary (20) was a farmer’s daughter, John was a farmer’s son and the rest of the children were scholars. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling and Mary Nee was the landholder.

 

Flaherty 

The head of the Flaherty family in house 5 was Patrick (30) who shared the house with his wife Anne (28). Both were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Both spoke both Irish and English but neither of them could read. Patrick was a famer. They lived i a single roomed, 3rd class dwelling and Patrick Flaherty was the landholder.

 

Halloran 

The widow Mary (70) was the head of this family and she shared the house with her son Joseph (35), her daughter-in-law, Margaret (35) and her 2 grandsons, Thomas (40 and Michael (1). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Mary, Joseph and Margaret spoke both Irish and English but only Joseph could read and write. Mary was listed as being a farmer, Joseph, as a farmer’s son and Michael, an infant. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and Mary Halloran was the landholder.

 

Grealish 

The head of this family was the widow Anne (70) and she lived with her son Thomas (30). Both were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Anne spoke both Irish and English but neither of them could read. Anne was a farmer and Thomas was a farmer’s son. They shared a single roomed, 3rd class dwelling and Anne Grealish was the landholder.

 

Conneely

The widow Margaret (65) was the head of the family in house 8 and she shared the house with 4 of her children, Michael (40), Anne (30), Mary (27) and Patrick (36) as well as her granddaughter Margaret (6). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English and the 2 Margaret’s could read only while the others could all read and write. Margaret (65) was listed as being a farmer, Michael and Patrick farmer’s sons, Anne and Mary, farmer’s daughters and Margaret (6) was a scholar. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and Margaret Conneely was the landholder.

 

Conneely

James (32) was the head of the last family in Derryadd West and he lived with his wife Mary A. (24). Both were Roman Catholic, James was born in Co. Galway and Mary A. was born in England. James spoke both Irish and English and Mary A. spoke only English and both could read and write. James was listed as being a farmer. They lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and James Conneely was the landholder.

 

Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) for Derryadd West

The main immediate lessor for the townland of Derryadd West, according to Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864), were the Directors of the Law Life Assurance Co. In the first plot they had 1232 acres, 2 roods and 30 perches of mountain land for which they kept an area for themselves for an annual rate of £3 10s and, in turn, jointly leased tenements of land on this land to John Robertson for £2, Patrick Walsh and Bernard Cassidy for 13s each, Peter Nee for £1 15s, John Steele for 10s, Michael Mangan (sic) for £1 15s, Lawrence Cornealy (sic) for £1 5s and he in turn then leased an area of that land to John Flaherty for 12s. The Directors of the Law Life Assurance Co a second plot with an area of 87 acres, 1 rood and7 perches of land for which they paid an annual ratable valuation of £7 4s. They then leased tenements on this land to Peter Nee, who also had a house and office and he paid £3 12s for the land and 8s for the buildings, Lawrence Cornealy (sic), who had a house and offices for £2 8s for the land and £1 5s for the buildings, Michael Mangan (sic) had a house and office for £3 12s for the land and 8s for the buildings and John Flaherty in turn leased a house and offices on an area of land on this plot from Lawrence Cornealy (sic) for £1 4s for the land and 8s for the buildings. John Robertson leased 2 tenements from the Directors of the Law Life Assurance Co., the first being a fishery hotel and offices on 30 acres and 26 perches of land for £7 for the land and £10 5s for the buildings. The second, being a workmen’s house on 7 acres, 1 rood and 10 perches of land for £1 15s for the land and 10s for the buildings. There was a vacant house and office belonging to John Robertson that had an annual ratable valuation of £1 5s. Patrick Walsh leased a house and offices on8 acres, 2 roods and 5 perches of land for £2 2s for the land and 8s for the buildings. Bernard Cassidy leased a house and offices form the Directors of the Law Life Assurance Co. on 7 acres, 2 roods and 34 perches of land for £1 10s for the land and 10s for the buildings. John Steele leased a house and office from the Directors of the Law Life Assurance Co. on 5 acres, 3 roods and 33 perches of land for 18s for the land and 15s for the buildings. The Directors of the Law Life Assurance Co. had a caretaker’s house on 11 acres, 2 roods and 27 perches of land with an annual ratable valuation of £5 15s for the land and £3 for the house. There were also 23 acres, 2 roods and 4 perches of water.

 

1670 Down Survey for Derryadd West

The 1670 Down Survey name for this area was Slewkiroggy. The 1641 owners were Thomas McRedmund Joyce and Murragh McDow Flarharty, both Catholics and the owners in 1670 were The College of Dublin, Maurice Thompson, both Protestant and the Catholic Richard Martin. There were 7117 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 284 plantation acres of profitable land and 284 plantation acres were forfeited.

[i] Co. Offaly

[ii]  Co. Offaly

This page was added on 11/06/2018.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *