Civil Parish: Moyrus
Church Parish: Carna
District Electoral Division: Knockboy
Area: 107.25 acres / 107 acres, 1 rood, 0 perches
Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Rusheenyvulligan (No records)
Overview of Rusheenyvulligan in 1911
The 1911 census shows that there were only 3 houses in the townland of Rusheenyvulligan. They were all private dwellings and were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls with thatch wood or other perishable material for roofing. They were all 3rd class dwellings with house 1 having 2 rooms and 1 window in the front and the other 2 having 1 room and 1 window. The enumerator’s abstract return (Form N) shows that there were a total of 14 people in the townland at that time, 5 male and 9 female. The enumerator was Const. John Gallagher.
The head of the first house in the townland was Anthony (73) and he had been married to Barbara (70) for 43 years and in that time they had had 8 children but only 4 of those had survived. They were both Roman Catholic and were born in Co. Galway and Anthony could speak both Irish and English while Barbara could only speak Irish. Neither of them could read or write. Anthony’s occupation was a farm labourer. They shared a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and the landholder was Martin Mongan of Carna.
The head of the Lydon family in house 2 was Michael (30) and he had been married to Bridget (29) for 9 years and in that time they had had 6 children of which 5 had survived. Those children lived with them at that time and they were Patrick (8), Mary (6), Bridget (4), Martin (2) and Maggie (1mth). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic with the exception of Mary, who was born in America. All spoke both Irish and English except baby Maggie. Bridget (4), Martin and Maggie could not read but the others could all read and write. Michael was a fisherman and Patrick and Mary wee scholars. They all lived in a 1 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and the landholder was Martin Mongan of Carna.
Martin (50) was the head of this family and he was married to Honor (53) and had been for 24 years and in that time they had had 5 children, all of which had survived. 3 of those children were in the house at that time and they were Anne (17), Margaret (10) and Sarah (8). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English. Only the children could read and write. Martin was a farmer and the children were all scholars. They all shared a single roomed, 3rd class dwelling with Martin Mongan of Carna being the landholder.
Overview of Rusheenyvulligan in 1901
There were only 2 houses in the townland of Rusheenyvulligan in 1901 and they were both private dwellings and constructed on stone, brick or concrete walls with thatch, wood or other perishable material. They were all 3rd class dwellings with 1 room and 1 window in the front of the house. There were a total of 10 people in the townland at that time, 4 male and 6 female. The enumerator for the area was a Const. Patrick Gaffney.
Anthony (45) was the head of this family and he was married to Bridget (39) and they shared the house with 2 of their children, Pat (5) and Peter (3). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English and none could read or write. Anthony’s occupation was listed as being a heard and the two children were listed as being sons. They all shared a single roomed, 3rd class dwelling and the landholder was Anthony McDonagh.
The head of this family was Martin (31) and he was married to Honoria (32) and they shared the house with 4 daughters, Mary (9), Bridget (7), Anne (5) and Maggie (2). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Martin, Honoria and Mary spoke both Irish and English while the others all spoke only Irish. Martin was a farmer, Mary was a scholar and the other children were all scholars. They all lived in a single roomed.3rd class dwelling and Martin Lydon was the landholder.
According to Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) the immediate lessor for the area was Maryanne Nolan and she leased a herd’s house and offices on 100 acres, 3 roods and 18 perches of land for £14 for the land and 10s for the buildings. There were also 3 acres and 16 perches of water in the townland.
The 1670 Down Survey name for this area was Rasfillavollgan. The 1641 owner was Murragh O’Flaharty, a Catholic and in 1670 the owner was Francis Matthews, a Protestant. There were 56 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 3 plantation acres of profitable land and 3 plantation acres were forfeited.