Derrynavglaun

Doire na bhFlann

Roger Harrison / Forum Connemara

Townland:                                  Derrynavglaun

Civil Parish:                                Moyrus

Barony:                                       Ballynahinch

Church Parish:                          Roundstone

District Electoral Division:     Bencorr

Area:                                           1365.90 acres / 1365 acres, 3 roods, 24 perches

 

Baptism and Marriage records for Roundstone R.C. Parish 1872-1881

Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Derrynavglaun  (no records)

Map

Galway Library for Derrynavglaun

Logainm for Derrynavglaun

NUI Galway Digital Collections for Derrynavglaun

 

1911 Census for Derrynavglaun

Overview of  Derrynavglaun in 1911.

The 1911 census shows that there were a total of 5 houses in Derrynaglaun and that they were all listed as private dwellings. All the houses were constructed of Stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable material as roofing. House 5 was a 3rd class dwelling and the rest were 2nd class. House 5 had 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front, houses 1, 2 and 4 had 2 rooms and 3 windows and house 3 had 2 rooms and 4 windows. The out-offices and farm-steadings return shows that there were a total 17 out buildings in the townland consisting of 4 stables, 10 cow houses, a piggery and 2 car houses. According to the enumerator’s abstract return, there were a total of 37 people living in Derrynavglaun, 21 male and 16 female. The enumerator was Const. Martin Gilmore.

 

O’Brien                                    (additional surnames: Manion and King)

The O’Brien household consisted of 8 members. The head of the family was Michael (70) who had been married to Mary (70) for 45 years and in that time they had had 10 children of which only 6 had survived. They shared the house with their son Michael (30), Their daughter-in-law, Margaret (25) and they had been married for 2 years, their son Francis (24) and daughter, Bridget (19). Also in the house at that time were 2 relatives, Ellen Mannion (2) and Annie King (14). Michael (70), Mary, Michael (30), Margaret and Francis could all speak both Irish and English but there was nothing entered for the others which could indicate that they only spoke English. Ellen could not read, Mary could read only and the others could all read and write. All were Roman Catholic and were born in Co. Galway except Ellen, who was born in the USA. Michael (70) was listed as being a farmer, Michael (30) and Francis, farmer’s sons, Bridget, a farmer’s daughter and Annie was a scholar. They all lived in a 2 roomed. 2nd class dwelling and they had a stable, a cow house, a piggery and a car house. Michael O’Brien was the landholder.

 

Cummins

James (82) was the head of the family in house 2 and he had been married to Margret (71) for 48 years and in that time they had had 8 children and 6 of those had survived. All spoke both Irish and English but neither of them could read. All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. James was listed as being a farmer. They lived in a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling and they had a stable and 2 cow houses. The landholder was James Cummins.

 

Cummins                                (additional surnames: Ward)

John (53) was the head of this Cummins family and he had been married to Honor (45) for 21 years and they had had 9 children and all of those had survived. Eight of those children lived with them at that time and they were Mary (19), Patrick (17), John (15), James (13), William (10) Charles (8), Ellen (6) and Francis (2). Also in the house that time were John’s (53) mother, Julia (87) and a servant, Stephen Ward (50). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic, except Julia, who was born in Co. Tipperary. Honor, Mary, Patrick, John (15), James and Stephen all spoke both Irish and English but there was nothing entered under that heading for the others which could indicate that they only spoke English. Charles, Ellen, Francis and Julia could not read but the others could all read and write. John (53) was a gamekeeper, Patrick was a farmer’s son, Stephen was a farm servant and John (15), James, William and Charles were scholars. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling and they had 2 cow houses. John Cummins was the landholder.

 

Mannion

There were 8 members of the Mannion family in house 4 and the widower Patrick (71) was the head of the family. He shared the house with 5 of his children, John (35), Barbara, (33), Nora (29) Thomas (27) and Joseph (25). Also in the house at that time were his 2 grandchildren Martin (16) and Mary (15).  All spoke both Irish and English and could read and write. All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Patrick was a farmer, John, Thomas and Joseph were farmer’s sons, Barbara and Nora were farmer’s daughters and Martin and Mary were scholars. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling with a stable and 3 cow houses. Patrick Mannion was the landholder.

 

Mulkerrin 

The widow Catherin (84) was the head of the last house in Deryynavglaun and she shared the house with her son Michael (55), her daughter-in-law, Bridget (46) and 4 of her grandchildren, Mary (22), Joseph (19), John (17) and Thomas (11). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English but only Mary, Joseph, John and Thomas could read and write. Michael was a farmer, Mary, a farmer’s daughter, Joseph and John, farmer’s sons and Thomas was a scholar. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and they had a stable, 2 cow houses and a car house. Michael Mulkerrin was the landholder.

 

1901 Census for Derrynavglaun

Overview of Derrynavglaun in 1901

The 1901 census shows that there were 5 houses in the townland at that time and all were listed as being private dwellings and all were occupied at that time. They were all constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. House 1 was a 3rd class dwelling with the others being 2nd class. House 1 had 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front, house 5 had 2 rooms and 3 windows, houses 2 and 4 had 3 rooms and 3 windows and house 3 had 4 rooms and 4 windows. The enumerator’s abstract return (form N) shows that there were a total of 32 people in the townland in 1901 with 20 male and 12 female. The enumerator for the area was Const. Thomas Tuohy.

 

Mulkerrin 

The first house in Derrynavglaun was home to the Mulkerrin family and they had 8 members. The head of the family was the widow Catherine (87) and she lived with her son Michael (36), her daughter-in-law, Bridget (33) and her grandchildren, Mary (13), Joseph (10), John (7), Martin (4) and Thomas (1). All spoke both Irish and English except baby Thomas and John could read only and Mary and Joseph could read and write and the other members of the family could not read. All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Michel was listed as being a farmer, Mary, Joseph and John, as scholars and Martin and Thomas were listed as infants. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and Michael Mulkerrin was the landholder.

 

Cummins

The head of the Cummins family in house 2 was James (60) who was married to Margaret (50) and they lived with their son Martin (26). All 3 were Roman Catholic and James was born in Co. Tipperary and the other 2 were born in Co. Galway. All spoke both Irish and English and all could read and write. James was a farmer, Margaret, a farmer’s wife and Martin, a farmer’s son. They all lived in a 3 roomed. 2nd class dwelling and James Cummins was the landholder.

 

Cummins                                          (additional surnames: Ward)

The head of this Cummins family was Michael (76) who was married to Julia (72) and they lived with their son Patrick (37), their daughter, Mary (34), a nephew, Michael and a servant, Stephen Ward (34). All spoke both Irish and English and Julia could not read, Stephen could read only and the rest could all read and write. All were Roman Catholic and Michael (76) and Julia were born in Co. Tipperary and the others were all born in Co. Galway. Michael (76) was a farmer, Patrick was a gamekeeper, Mary was a farmer’s daughter, Michael (10) was a scholar and Stephen was a farm servant. They all lived in a 4 roomed, 2nd class dwelling and Michael Cummins was the landholder.

 

Mannion

The head of this Mannion family was Patrick (60) and he was married to Bridget (56) and they shared the house with 5 of their children, John (29), Lizzie (25), Norah (21), Thomas (19) and Joseph (17) and 2 of their grandchildren Martin (6) and Mary (5). Apart from Martin and Mary, who only spoke English, they all spoke both Irish and English and Martin and Mary could read only but all the others could read and write. All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Patrick was a farmer, Bridget was a farmer’s wife, John, Thomas and Joseph were farmer’s sons, Norah and Lizzie were farmer’s daughters and Martin and Mary were scholars. They all shared a 3 roomed, 2nd class dwelling and Patrick Mannion was the landholder.

 

O’Brien 

The head of the family in the last house in Derrynavglaun was Michael (50) who was married to Mary (50) and they shared the house with 4 of their children, Michael (20), Annie (18), James (14) and Francis (12). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English and all could read and write. Michael (50) was a farmer, Michael (20) was a farmer’s son, Annie was a farmer’s daughter and James and Francis were scholars. They all shared a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling and Michael O’Brien was the landholder.

 

Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) for Derrynavglaun

Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) shows that there was an area of 1196 acres, 1 rood and 38 perches of mountain land that had a few tenements. John Fitzpatrick leased and area of that land from the Directors of the Law Life Assurance Co. for £2 2s, Patrick Mangan (sic) leased an area from them as well for £7 12s, Christopher Mulkerrin leased an area from Michael Commons (sic) for 17s and Michael Commons (sic) leased an area from Patrick Mangan (sic) for £1 5s. In a separate area, Patrick Mangan (sic) leased a house and offices on11 acres and 12 perches of land from the Directors of the Law Life Assurance Co. for £2 10s for the land and 10s for the buildings, Christopher Mulkerrin leased a house on 7 acres, 2 roods and 10 perches of land from Michael Commons (sic) for £1 8s for the land and 3s for the house. Charles Bionconi leased a caretaker’s house and office on 31 acres and 6 from the Directors of the Law Life Assurance Co. for £1 10s for the land and £3 for the buildings. John Fitzpatrick leased a house on 11 acres and 25 perches of land from Directors of the Law Life Assurance Co. for £2 10s for the land and 3s for the house and Michael Commons (sic) leased 16 acres 1 rood and 20 perches of land from John Fitzpatrick for £1 10s. There were also 88 acres, 1 rood and 32 perches of water.

 

1670 Down Survey for Derrynavglaun

The 1670 Down Survey names for this area included Dereiregh (Laughavoye, Shanackenonule, Glenan, Byrh & Inishmiskry, Clunely, Glannarud, Knockanevodda and Shannacourragh. The 1641 owner was Ferdinando Follin, a Catholic and in 1670 the owners were the Catholic Richard Martin and the Protestant Sir Thomas Meredith.

This page was added on 11/06/2018.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *