Civil Parish: Moyrus
Church Parish: Roundstone
District Electoral Division: Moyrus
Area: 2544.62 acres / 2544 acres, 2 roods, 19 perches
Overview of Boheeshal in 1911.
The 1911 census shows that there were only 2 houses in the townland of Boheeshal. Both were occupied and were private dwellings. Both were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls with thatch, wood or other perishable material for roofing. Both houses were 3rd class dwellings and had 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front. The out-offices and farm-steadings return (form B2.) shows that there were 7 out buildings in the townland consisting of 2 stables, 2 cow houses, a calf house and 2 piggeries. The enumerator’s abstract return (form N) shows that there were a total of 12 people, 5 male and 7 female. The enumerator for this area was Const. Patrick Gildea.
The head of the 1st house in Boheeshal was Patrick (42), and he was married to Mary (32) and had been for 11 years and in that time they had had 5 children and all of those had survived. They shared the house with those 5 children and they were Bridget (10), Mary (8), John (6), Michael (4) and Barbara (2). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Patrick, Mary (32), Bridget and Mary (8) spoke both Irish and English but there was nothing entered for the other children which could indicate that they only spoke English. Mary (8) could read only, Mary (32) and Bridget could read and write and the other members of the family could not read. Patrick was listed as being a farmer and Bridget and Mary (8) were scholars. The house they all loved in was a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling with a stable, a cow house and a piggery. Patrick Melia was the landholder.
The head of the other family in Boheeshal, another Melia family, was the widow Bridget (73), who had been married for 25 years and had had 5 children and 3 had survived. He son, Philip (38) and his wife, Bridget (28) and they had been married for 5 years and had 2 children and they both had survived. Those 2 children, Annie (3) and Andrew (1), also lived in the house at that time. All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Bridget (73) spoke only Irish and Philip and Bridget (28) spoke both Irish and English. Only Philip and Bridget (28) could read and write. Bridget (73) was a farmer and Philip was a labourer. The house they all lived in was a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling with a stable, a cow house, a calf house and a piggery. Bridget Melia was the landholder.
Overview of Boheeshal in 1901.
In 1901 there was only 1 house in the townland of Boheeshal and it was occupied and was a private dwelling. It was a 2nd class dwelling and was constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. It had 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. There were 5 people living there, 3 male and 2 female. The enumerator for the area was Const. Martin Fahy.
Andrew (60) was the head of this family and he was married to Bridget (50)They shared the house with their son, Patrick (30), his wife, Mary (20) and another son, Philip (26). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All the family spoke both Irish and English. Only Patrick, Mary and Philip could read and write. Andrew was a farmer, Patrick and Philip were farmer’s sons and Mary was a housekeeper. The house they lived in was a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and Andrew Melia was the landholder.
Anne Joyce – Application No. C/17 3797. The application was received on 15th May 1917 and the address given for that time was Mrs. Anne Ridge Shannadonel, Cashel, Co. Galway. Anne’s parent’s names were given as Thomas and Mary Joyce. The address in 1851 was given as Boheeshal, in the Parish of Moyrus, in the Barony of Ballynahinch, Co. Galway. The search was returned on 16th May 1917 and the words “Not Fd” were handwritten there.
The Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) shows that the Directors of the Law, Life Assurance Co. were the immediate lessors in the townland of Boheeshal and they leased 2373 acres, 1 rood and 16 perches of land to John J. Robertson for £16 annually. He in turn then leased a house and offices to Martin Joyce for £1 annually. There were also 169 acres, 1 rood and 9 perches of water in the townland.
The Down Survey name for this area was Cashel. The 1641 owner of this land was Murragh O’Flaharty, a Catholic and in 1670 the owner was John Brown, a Protestant.