Glencoaghan

Gleann Chóchan

Roger Harrison / Forum Connemara

My location
Get Directions

Townland:                                   Glencoaghan

Civil Parish:                                 Moyrus

Barony:                                        Ballynahinch

Church Parish:                           Roundstone

District Electoral Division:     Bencorr

Area:                                           3143.71 acres / 3143 acres, 2 roods, 33 perches

 

Baptism and Marriage records for Roundstone R.C. Parish 1872-1881

Map

Galway Library for Glencoaghan

Logainm for Glencoaghan

NUI Galway Digital Collections for Glencoaghan

 

1911 Census for Glencoaghan

Overview of Glencoaghan in 1911.

According to the 1911 census there were a total of 7 houses in the townland of Glencoaghan at that time. House 7 was listed as being a shop and all the others were recorded as being private dwellings. All the houses were constructed of stone, brick or concrete and house 7 had had a slate, iron or tiled roof while all the other houses only had thatch, wood or other perishable material for roofing. Houses 4 and 6 were 3rd class dwellings while the others in the townland were all 2nd class. Houses 4 and 6 had 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front and the others all had 2 rooms and 3 windows. The out-offices and farm-steadings return (form B2) shows that there were a total of 19 out buildings consisting of 7 stables, 9 cow houses, a barn and 2 car houses. The enumerator’s abstract return (form N) states that there were a total of 35 people in the townland at that time, 17 male and 18 female. The enumerator for the area was Const. Martin Gilmore.

 

 Joyce 

The head of the Joyce family in house 1 was Stephen (69) and he had been married to Katie (63) for 40 years and in that time they had had 11 children and all those children had survived. They shared the house with 5 of those children, Patrick (28), Ellen (20), Sarah (17), Julia (15) and John (5). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English except for John. Only Ellen, Sarah and Julia could read and write. Stephen was a farmer, Patrick was a farmer’s son, Ellen and Sarah were farmer’s daughters and Julia and John were scholars. They shared a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling and they had 2 cow houses. Stephen Joyce was the landholder.

 

Conroy 

House 2 was home to the Conroy family and the head of the family was the widow Honor (68) and she shared the house with her son Patrick (42), her daughter-in-law, Mary (41) who had been married to Patrick for 6 years and they had had 3 children, all of which had survived. Also in the house were Honor’s grandchildren, Michael (5), Mary (4) and Barbara (2). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Honor, Patrick and Mary could speak both Irish and English but there was nothing recorded for the grandchildren so that could indicate that they only spoke English. Honor could read only, Patrick and Mary could read and write but the children could not read. Patrick was listed as being a farmer’s son. They all shared a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling and they had a stable, a cow house and a car house. Honor Conroy was the landholder.

 

Nee

The head of the Nee family was the widow Bridget and she shared the house with her 2 sons, Thomas (28) and William (26) and her granddaughter Kathleen (16). All were born in Co. Galway except Kathleen who was born in England and all were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English except Kathleen who most likely spoke only English as there was nothing recorded for her under that heading. All the family could read and write. Thomas and William were recorded as being farmer’s sons. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling and Bridget Nee was the landholder. They also had a stable, 2 cow houses and a car house.

 

Mannion

The head of the Mannion family in house 4 was Martin (66) and he had been married to Mary (66) for 40 years and in that time they had had 8 children and 7 of those had survived. Five of those children lived with them at that time and they were Thomas (34), Barbara (24), Martin (22), Mary (18) and Margret (16). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English but only Martin (22), Mary (18) and Margret could read and write. Martin (66) was a farmer, Thomas and Martin (22) were farmer’s sons and Barbara, Mary (18) and Margret were farmer’s daughters. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and they had 2 stables, a cow house and a barn. Martin Mannion was the landholder.

 

Lyden

The head of the Lyden family in house 5 was Patrick (80) and he had been married to his wife Bridget (60) for 35 years in that time they had had 8 children and of those 6 had survived. They shared the house with 4 of those children and they were Joseph (30), Martin (27), Barbara (17) and Michael (15). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English but only the children could read and write. Patrick was a farmer, Joseph and Martin were farmer’s sons, Barbara was a farmer’s daughter and Michael was a scholar. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling and they had a stable and a cow house. Patrick Lyden was the landholder.

 

Lyden

The head of this family was John (74) who had been married to Bridget (65) for 43 years and in that time they had had 11 children of which 10 had survived. They shared the house with their son Joseph (20). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English but only Joseph could read and write. John was a farmer and Joseph was a farmer’s son. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and they had a stable and 2 cow houses. John Lyden was the landholder.

 

Joyce

The head of the last house in Glencoaghan was John (36) and he was married to Bridget (35) and had been for 2 years but at that time they had had no children. Both were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Both spoke both Irish and English and could read and write. John was a farmer. They lived in a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling and they had a stable. The landholder was listed as Stephen Joyce of Glencoaghan.

 

1901 Census for Glencoaghan

Overview of Glencoaghan in 1901.

There were 6 houses in Glencoaghan according to the 1901 census. All were listed as being private dwellings and all were occupied. All were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and thatch, wood or other perishable material for roofing. Houses 1, 3 and 5 were 3rd class dwellings and house 2, 4 and 6 were 3rd class. Houses 1, 3 and 5 had 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front and houses 2, 4 and 6 had 2 rooms and 3 windows. The enumerator’s abstract return (form N) shows that there were a total of 47 people in the townland at that time, 21 male and 26 female. The enumerator for the area was Const. Thomas Tuohy.

 

Lydon

The head of this family was Patrick (60) and he was married to Bridget (40) and they lived with 5 of their children Martin (18), Anne (15), Margaret (14), Barbara (9) and Michael (3). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English except Patrick, who only speak Irish and Michael. Only Martin, Anne, Margaret and Barbara could read and write. Patrick was a farmer, Martin was a farmer’s son, Anne was listed as a farmer’s daughter and Margaret, Barbara and Michael were scholars. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and Patrick Lydon was the landholder.

 

Lydon 

The head of this family in house 2 was the widow Honor (80) and she lived with her son, John (60), her daughter-in-law, Bridget (50) and 5 other children, Bridget (24), Thomas (20), Norah (18), Maggie (14) and Joseph (10). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English except Honor, who only spoke Irish. Honor, John and Bridget (50) could not read but all the others could read and write. John was a farmer, Bridget (50) was a farmer’s wife, Bridget (24), Norah and Maggie were farmer’s daughters and Thomas was a farmer’s son and Joseph was a scholar. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 2nd class and Honor Lydon was the landholder.

 

Mannion

The head of the Mannion family was Martin (52) and he was married to Mary (40) and they lived with 7 of their children, Thomas (26), Stephen (20), Martin (13), Barbara (15), Bridget (12), Mary (9) and Margaret (5). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English except Margaret for whom there was nothing recorded under that heading so that could indicate that she only spoke English. Only Stephen and Bridget could read and write. Martin was listed as being a farmer, Thomas and Stephen were farmer’s sons and Martin (13), Barbara, Bridget, Mary (9) and Margaret were all scholars. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and Martin Mannion was the landholder.

 

Nee 

The Nee family in house 4 consisted of 7 members and the head of the family was Martin (70) and he was married to Bridget (60) and they shared the house with 4 of their children, Norah (19), Ellen (18), Thomas (15), Willie (13) and Martin (13), who was listed as a niece (sic). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic, except Martin (13), who was born in England. Martin (13) spoke only English but the rest all spoke both Irish and English and all could read and write. Martin (70) was a farmer, Norah was a farmer’s daughter and dressmaker, Ellen was a farmer’s daughter, Thomas and Willie were farmer’s sons and Martin (13) was a scholar. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling and Martin Nee was the landholder.

 

Conroy 

The head of this family was the widow Honor (50) and she shared the house with 5 of her children, pat (27), John (23), Barbra (sic) (20), Ellen (18) and Thomas (12). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English apart from Thomas, who had nothing entered under the language so that could mean that he only spoke English. Honor could read only while the rest of the family could all read and write. Honor was listed as being a farmer, Pat and John were farmer’s sons, Barbra (sic) and Ellen were farmer’s daughters and Thomas was a scholar. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and Honor Conroy was the landholder.

 

Joyce 

The Joyce family in house 7 consisted of 10 members and the head of the family was Stephen (58) and he was married to Kate (56) and they shared the house with their 8 children, Bridget (19), Patrick (16), Mark (14), Stephen (12), Maria (10), Ellen (8), Sarah (6) and Julia (4). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English apart from Julia, who had nothing entered under that heading. Ellen could read, Stephen (58), Kate, Sarah and Julia could not read and the others could all read and write. Stephen (58) was a farmer, Bridget was a farmer’s daughter, Patrick was a farmer’s son and Mark, Stephen (12), Maria and Ellen were scholars. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and Stephen Joyce was the landholder.

 

 

Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Glencoaghan

Mary Mannion – Application No. C/16 7642. Mary’s application was received on 08/12/1916. Her address at the time of the application was given as Glencoaghan, Toombeola P.O. Co. Galway. Her parent’s name was given as John and Mary Mannion nee Coyne. The search was returned on 11/12/1916 with the words “found, parents married 1840. Children Patt 8yrs, Biddy 5 yrs, no trace of applicant , sheet 9”

 

Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) for Glencoaghan

The main immediate lessor in this town land according to Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) was the Directors of the Law Life Assurance Co. They had 2066 acres and 2 roods of land and they had a house and paid an annual rate of £7 10s for the land and 4s for the house, they also leased part of that land with house to Arthur McNally for £3 15s for the land and 7s for the house and he then leased the house and land to Mary Mangan (sic) for £3 15s for the land and 4s for the house. John Nee leased 941 acres and 7 perches of land with houses and offices from the Directors of the Law Life Assurance Co. for £16 for the land and 12 s for the buildings. There were also 131 acres, 3 roods and 16 perches of water.

 

1670 Down Survey for Glencoaghan

The 1670 Down Survey name for this area was Garmannaghkill. The 1641 owner was Murragh O’Flaharty, a catholic and in 1670 the owner was Dr Thomas Seele, a Protestant. There were 2019 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 190 plantation acres of profitable land and 190 plantation acres were forfeited.

This page was added on 11/06/2018.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *