Civil Parish: Ballynakill
Church Parish: Letterfrack
District Electoral Division: Ballynakill
Area: 220.48 acres / 220 acres, 1 rood, 36 perches
1911 Census for Ardkyle (no records)
1901 Census for Ardkyle (no records)
Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Ardkyle (no records)
The Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) records that there was a total of 200 Acres and 31 Perches of land in Ardkyle that was owned by Robert Graham. There also a further 4 Islands of no agricultural value of an area of Acre, 1 Rood and 20 Perches. Robert Graham leased tenements to a number of people, some of which leased houses to a 3rd party. Edward Joyce and John Conneely leased an area of 15 Acres, 3 Roods and 5 perches fro Robert Graham. They had a house on the land and John Conneely also had an office. They paid an annual valuation rate of £1 15s for the land and Edward Joyce paid 10s for the house and John Conneely paid 5s for the buildings. Thomas Coyne leased 7 Acres and 36 Perches that included an office and a house. He paid £2 3s for the land and 7 s for the buildings. John Folan leased the house from Thomas Conneely at a rate of 5s annually. John Quigley leased 11 Acres, 2 Roods and 14 Perches from Robert Graham on which there was a house and office. He paid an annual rate of £4 for the land and 10s for the buildings. Peter Joyce leased 4 Acres and 18 Perches of land that included houses and an office. His annual ratable valuation was £1 7s for the land and 8s for the buildings. He further leased houses to Judith Flynn, Margaret Joyce and Michael McDonnell for 5s each annually. Thomas Davis leased 8 Acres, 3 Roods and 38 Perches from Robert Graham that included a house and office. His annual ratable valuation was £3 10s for the land and 10s for the buildings. Christopher Conneely and William Conneely jointly leased an area of 12 Acres, 1 Rood and 31 Perches of land on which Christopher also had a house. Christopher paid £3 for the land and 5s for the house while William paid £1 10s for his share of that land. John Joyce and Mary Joyce each leased a house from Robert Graham at an annual rate of 5s each. Thomas and Martin Rowan leased 8 Acres, 1 Rood and 36 Perches of land from Robert Graham at a rate of £1 10s each. Robert Graham leased 2 Acres, 3 Roods and 15 Perches of land to Patrick King at an annual rate of £1 5s. Peter Conneely and Martin Keane leased 2 Acres, 3 Roods and 32 Perches of land at a rate of 12s each. Gregory Conneely leased 2 Acres and 3 Roods of land at a rate of 15s. Myles burke leased 1 Acre, 3 Roods and 17 Perches of land for 7s annually. Bridget Conneely, Thomas and Martin Rowan jointly leased an area of 2 Acres, 2 Roods and 8 Perches from Robert Graham for Bridget paid 4s and Thomas and Martin paid 2s. William Staunton and Laurence Heaney jointly leased 2 Acres and 15 Perches of land for 3s each. Richard Davis and John Coyne leased 1 Acre, 1 Rood and 3 Perches of land from Robert Graham at an annual rate of 2s each. Tenants of the townland also leased 124 Acres, 2 Roods and 3 Perches of mountain land at £2 10s annually.
The 1670 Down Survey names for this area were Mamffin and Ardkell. The 1641 owner was Edmund O’Flaharty who was a Catholic and the 1670 owner was Richard, Earl of Westmeath, also a Catholic.