Civil Parish: Ballynakill
Church Parish: Letterfrack
District Electoral Division: Cushkillary
Area: 629.79 acres / 629 acres, 3 roods, 6 perches
Baptism and Marriage records for Letterfrack R.C. Parish 1821-1881
1901 Census for Foher (no records)
NUI Galway Digital Collections for Foher
1911 Census for Foher
Overview of Foher in 1911.
Foher only had the one house in 1911 with 8 persons, 6 male and 2 female. The house is listed as a private dwelling with stone, brick or concrete walls and on thatch, wood or other perishable material for a roof. It had 2 rooms with no windows in the front and was occupied as a 3rd class dwelling.
Walsh (additional surnames: O’Donagh)
The 1911 census lists only one household in Foher and that was of the Walsh family. There were 8 family members living there and the head of the family was Patrick (55) who had been married to his wife Annie (55) for 36 years. They had 12 children of which 10 survived. Living with them at that time were his children Martin (26), Margaret (23), Philip (18), John (15) and 2 nephews Cornelius O’Donagh (6) and Joseph O’Donagh (4). All except Joseph are listed as being able to speak both Irish and English and all were Roman Catholic. Cornelius and Joseph were born in England and the rest in Co. Galway. Martin, Margaret, Philip and John could read and write, the others could not read. Patrick’s occupation was a herd, Martin’s is listed as farming and Philip and John are listed as herds son. They lived in a 3rd class 2 roomed house and the landholder was Captain Thompson. They also had 1 cow house.
Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Foher
Michael Coyne – Application No.: C16 7954. Michaels application was received on 21/12/1916, at that time he was 70 years of age and lived in Derryinver, Letterfrack, Co. Galway. His parents were Patrick and Honor Coyne. His residence in 1851 was Foher, in the Barony of Ballynahinch, in the Parish of Ballynakill, Co. Galway. The returned search was dated 22/12/1916 and that family not found
Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) for Foher
According to the Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) Alexander Thompson leased tenements the Church, Irish Church Mission and Alexander McGorn. Alexander Thompson had land of 623 Acres, 0 Roods and 23 Perches on which he had a herd’s house and offices for his own use. He paid a annual rate of £42 10s for the land and 10s for the buildings. The church and church yard had an area of 2 Roods and 30 Perches and had an annual valuation rate of 10s for the land and £4 for the building. The Irish Church Mission had a school house ant no rent but had an annual valuation rate of £1. Alexander McGorn had a house with an annual rate of £1. This amounted to a total Annual Valuation of £42 for the land and £6 10s for the buildings. However, there were exemptions for the church and school house of the full amount, so the final total valuation rate was £41 10s for the land and £1 10s for the buildings.
1670 Down Survey for Foher
In the 1670 Down Survey, Foher was known as Freegh Island. The owner in 1641 was Edmund O’Flaharty and in 1670 the owner was Richard, earl of Westmeath and both were Catholic. I had 19 plantation acres of profitable land and 19 plantation acres were forfeited.
Add a comment about this page