Civil Parish: Ballynakill
Church Parish: Letterfrack
District Electoral Division: Ballynakill
Area: 67.55 acres / 67 acres, 2 roods, 7 perches
Overview of Derrylahan in 1911.
The 1911 census lists only 1 house in Derrylahan. It was constructed of stone, brick orconcrte walls and slate, iron or tiled roof. It was a 2nd class dwelling with 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front. It was classified as a private dwelling and had a cow house and calf house. There were 6 people living in the townland, 3 male and 3 female. Const. John Hickey was the enumerator.
McDonnell (additional surnames: Burke)
The only family in Derrylahan was that of the McDonnell family. Head of the family was Michael (45) and his wife Mary (40) who had been married for 16 years and had had 7 children but only 4 had survived. 3 of those children lived with them at the time and they were John (14), Mary (10) and Ellen (4). Also living there was Michael’s brother-in-law Martin Burke (35). Michael Mary (40) and Martin could speak both Irish and English, nothing was listed for the others in that column. Michael, John, Mary (10) and Martin could read and write and the other 2 could not read. All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Michael was a shepherd, Martin was a agricultural labourer and John and Mary (10) were scholars. Their house was a 2nd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they also had a cow house and calf house. The landholder was Francis L. Tullock.
Overview of Derrylahan in 1901.
Only 1 house was built in Derrylahan in 1901 and was recorded as a lodging house. It had stone, brick or concrete for walls and slate, iron or tiles for roofing. It was a 3rd class dwelling with 1 room and 2 windows. There were only 2 males living there at that time. Const. Edward Robison was the enumerator.
The McDonnell family consisted of 2 brothers with James (26) being the head of the family and his brother Festus (20). Both had Irish and English language but only Festus could read and write. Both were Roman Catholic and born in Co. Galway. James was a herdsman and Festus an assistant herdsman. The house was a 3rd class, 1 roomed house. The landholder was K. A. L. Tullock of Shanboolard.
Honor (or Norah) Healy – Application No. C20 6209. This application was received on 26/05/1920. Honor (or Norah) Healey (c 70 yrs). Honor’s address was given as Mrs Honor Walsh, Keelkyle, Letterfrack, Co. Galway. Her parents are given as John and Nellie Healey The search was certified on 31/05/1920 and a copy dispatched to applicant on 01/06/1920
According to the Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) Robert Graham owned the land and leased an area of land of 67 Acres, 2 Roods and 5 Perches to Thomas Y. Prior on which there was a steward’s house and Offices. He paid £25 for the land and £3 for the buildings annually.
The name for this area in 1670 Down Survey was Derrileahane. The 1641 owner was Feogh McShane Bourke, a Catholic, while the owner in 1670 was Peter Ayleward a Protestant. There were 354 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 36 plantation acres of profitable land and 36 plantation acres forfeited.