Civil Parish: Ballynakill
Church Parish: Letterfrack
District Electoral Division: Ballynakill
Area: 226.74 acres / 226 acres, 2 roods, 38 perches
Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Rosleague (no records)
Overview of Rosleague in 1911.
There were 3 buildings in Rosleague in 1911 but only 2 of them were inhabited. The 2 inhabited buildings were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and slate, iron or tiled roofing. House 1 was a 1st class dwelling while house 3 was 2nd class. House 1 had 6 rooms and 5 windows and house 3 had 2 rooms and 2 windows. According to the out offices and farm-steadings return there were a total of 16 out buildings. These out buildings consisted of a stable, a coach house, a harness room, 2 cow houses, a calf house, 3 piggeries, a fowl house, a boiling house, a barn, a turf house, a potato house, a shed and a store. There were a total of 11 people in Rosleague, 5 male and 6 female. The enumerator was Const. John Hickey.
Browne (additional surnames: Wells, King, Fowler, O’Meara, Heanue and O’Neill)
The head of the house in house 1 was Charlotte Browne (55), a widow who had had 4 children
all of Which survived. In the house with her at that time were a boarder, Bertram C. Wells, 3 visitors, John B. King (72), his wife Anna King (70) who had been married for 25 years and Phyllis M.A. Fowler (18). Also there were 3 servants, Mary O’Meara (20), Bridget Heanue (18) and Michael O’Neill (22). John B. King and Bridget Heanue spoke both Irish and English but there was nothing entered for the others which may indicate that they spoke only English. All of them could read and write. Charlotte Browne and Phyllis M.A. Fowler were Church of England, Bertram C. Wells, John B. King and Anna King were Protestant Episcopalian Church of Ireland. The others were Roman catholic. Charlotte Browne is listed as being a land owner, Bertram C. Wells was a priest BA, John B. King was a retired missionary. Phyllis M.A. Fowler was a lady help domestic, Mary O’Meara was a cook domestic servant, Bridget Heanue was a general domestic servant and Michael O’Neill was a gardener domestic servant. Charlotte Browne, John B. King and Bridget Heanue were born in Co. Galway. Bertram C. Wells was born in India, Anna King was born in Dublin, Phyllis M.A. Fowler was born in England , Mary O’Meara was born in Co. Tipperary and Michael O’Neill was born in Co. Louth. The house they lived in was a 1st class, 6 roomed dwelling with a stable, a coach house, a harness room, 2 cow houses, a calf house, 3 piggeries, a fowl house, a boiling house, a barn, a turf house, a potato house, a shed and a store. The landholder was Charlotte Browne.
Head of the Mannion family was Norah (29) who was married for 5 years and had 2 children. Those 2 children were in the house with her at that time and were John (4) and Martin (3mths). All were Roman catholic and born in Co. Galway. Norah is listed as being able to read and write. there is nothing listed for language which may indicate that they spoke only English. Their house was a 2 roomed, 2nd class house. The landholder was Charlotte Browne.
Overview of Rosleague in 1901.
In 1901 there was only the 1 house in Rosleague. It was built of stone, brick or concrete walls and slate, iron or tiles for roofing. It was a 1st class dwelling with 5 rooms and 5 windows. There were q total of 7 people 2 male and 5 female. The enumerator was Const. Edward Robinson.
Browne (additional surnames: Prise, Coyne and Conneely)
The only house in Rosleague in 1901 was that of the Browne family. The head of the family was the widow Charlotte (44). Three of her children lived with her and they were Sidney (21), Mary (18) and Cyril (17). Also in the house at that time were, a visitor Gertrude Prise (34) and 2 servants, Jane Coyne (26) and Anne Conneely (24). All could read and write and Sidney, Cyril, Jane and Anne spoke both Irish and English. Jane and anne were Roman Catholic and the rest were Church of Ireland. Gertrude was born in England and the rest were born in Co. Galway. Sidney is listed as a medical student R.C.G.P., Mary and Cyril were scholars, Gertrude was a hospital nurse and Jane and Anne were domestic servants. The house was a 5 roomed, 1st class house and the landholder was Charlotte Browne.
The Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) shows that Henry G. Fletcher owned the land in this area. The area of land was 218 Acres, 3 Roods and 2 Perches and included a house and offices. A annual ratable valuation of £60 for the land £20 for the buildings was paid. He also had 2 islands of an area of 28 Perches but they were of no agricultural value.
The 1670 Down Survey name for this area was Rossleague. He 1641 owner was the Catholic
Edmund O’Flaharty and in 1670 the owner was the protestant Francis Browne. There were 114
plantation acres of unprofitable land and 38 plantation acres of profitable land. 38 plantation
acres were forfeited.