Civil Parish: Ballynakill
Church Parish: Letterfrack
District Electoral Division: Cushkillary
Area: 437.95 acres / 437 acres, 3 roods, 31 perches
Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Tullyconor (no records)
Overview of Tullyconor in 1911.
Only two houses are listed in the 1911 census, both listed as private dwellings. Both houses had stone, brick or concrete for walls and slate, iron or tiles for roofing. House 1 was a 1st class house with 6 rooms and 6 windows in the front. House 2 was a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 2 windows. A total of 11 people lived there, 8 male and 3 female. There was also a total of 1 stable, a coach house, a cow house, a piggery, a turf house, a workshop, a laundary, a motor house and a boat house. The enumerator was Act. Sergt. Patrick Phelen.
Lambert (additional surnames: Sargent, Muirhead, Vince)
Of the 4 occupants of house 1, the head is listed as Guy Lambert (21) and in the house with him were visitors, John Sargent (22), John Muirhead (21) and Bernard Vince (20). Language is not listed but all could read and write. Guy was born in England and was a Protestant Episcopalian, John Sargent and Bernard Vince were born in England and were Church of England. John Muirhead was born in Scotland and was a member of the United Free Church of Scotland. All 4 were Students. The house they occupied was a 1st class, 20 roomed building and the landholder was Colonel Lambert. There were also a stable, coach house, cow house, piggery, turf house, workshop, laundry, motor house and boat house.
Moran (additional surnames: Mannion)
Head of the Moran family was Patrick (67) along with his wife Mary (59) who had been married for 21 years and had had 7 children of which 5 survived. 4 of the children that also lived in the house were John (19), Bridget (18), Julia (14), Patrick (12) and a boarder Martin Mannion (45). They all spoke both Irish and English and all could read and write with the exception of Patrick, who could read only. All were Roman Catholic and Patrick (67), Patrick (12) and Martin were born in Co. Galway and the rest were born in Co. Mayo. Patrick (67) and John were general servants, Mary was a cook, Bridget, a domestic servant and Julia and Patrick (12) were scholars. Their house was a 2nd class, 3 roomed building and the landholder was Colonel Lambert.
Overview of Tullyconor in 1901.
The 1901 census lists 2 houses in Tullyconor, both listed as private dwellings. Both had stone, brick or concrete for walls and slate, iron or tiles for roofing. House 1 was a 1st class house with 6 rooms and 8 windows in the front of the house. House 2 was a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 4 windows. There were a total of 11 people, 5 male and 6 female. Const. Patrick Flannery was the enumerator.
The head of the Morrin/Morn family was Patrick (32) and his wife Mary (30) Sharing the house with them were their 5 children John (8), Elley (sic) (8), Bridget (7), Julia (5) and Patrick (2). Along with those Patrick’s mother-in-law, Mary Faherty (75), also lived with them and she was a widow. All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Only Mary (30) and John could read and write and all, except Patrick (2), had both Irish and English language. Patrick (32) is listed as a caretaker and John as a scholar. They occupied a 1st class, 3 roomed dwelling and Guy B. lambert was the landholder.
The O’Neill family consisted of 3 members of which the widower John (56) was the head. With him in the house at that times were 2 of his children James (25) and Mary E. (18). All could speak both Irish and English and all could read and write. All were born in Co. Galway and were Catholic. John is listed as being a farmer, James, a farmer’s son and Mary E., a farmer’s daughter. Their house was a 2nd class, 6 roomed house and John O’Neill was the landholder.
According to Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) Alexander Thompson leased 2 tenements, 1 each to Alexander Lambert and Marcus S. Blackden. Alexander Lambert had a house and offices on an area of land consisting of 163 Acres. For this he paid an annual rate of £12 10s for the land and £10 10s for the buildings. Marcus S. Blackden had 258 Acres, 1 Rood and 4 Perches of land that he paid £7 10s annually for. There was also an area of 3 Acres and 2 Roods of water.
Down Survey names for this area also included Keilemore, Glancarbdemore, Gortnefunshine,Rossynelee, Shanaharaghane. The owner in 1641 was Edmund O’Flaharty, a Catholic and in 1670 the onwer was James Darcy, also a Catholic.
[i] It should be noted that the census form gives two different spellings for the name, that being Morn and Morrin