Townland: Gleninagh (Ballynakill)
Civil Parish: Ballynakill
Church Parish: Letterfrack
District Electoral Division: Bencorr
Area: 651.56 acres / 651 acres, 2 roods, 8 perches
Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) for Gleninagh (Ballynakill) (no records)
Overview of Gleninagh (Ballynakill) in 1911.
There was only the 1 house in this townland at the time of the 1911 census and it was listed as being a private dwelling and was occupied. It was constructed of stone, brick or concrete and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. There were 3 out buildings consisting of a cow house, a piggery and a barn. There were a total of 7 people living there, 4 male and 3 female and the enumerator was Const. Thomas Casey.
The head of the Bodkin family was Walter (45) and he was married to his wife, Honor (47) and had been for 20 years and in that time they had had 6 children and of those, 5 had survived. Those 5 children also lived with them at that time and they were Thomas (19), Patrick (15), Walter (12), Mary Ellen (17) and Anne (10). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English except Anne and Anne could read only while the others could all read and write. Walter (45) was listed as being a farmer, Thomas, a farmer’s son and the other children were all scholars. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling and Walter Bodkin was the landholder.
Overview of Gleninagh (Ballynakill) in 1901.
The 1901 census shows that there was only 1 house in the townland and it was occupied and was listed as being a private dwelling. The house was a 2nd class dwelling and had 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. It was built of stone, brick or concrete and had thatch, wood or other perishable material for roofing. There were a total of 9 people living in the townland, 4 male and 5 female. The enumerator was Const. Thomas Burke.
The head of the only family in Gleninagh was Edward (59) and he was married to Maria (50) and they shared the house with their Son Walter (34) and their daughter-in-law, Hanoria (sic) (26). Also in the house at that time were 3 of Edward and Maria’s other children, Thomas (30), Agnes (18) and Patrick (24) and also 2 grandchildren, Tresia (sic) (9) and Anne (2). All were Roman Catholic but there was no birth place recorded for any of them. There was nothing recorded under the Irish Language heading[i] for any of them but all, apart from Tresia (sic) and Anne, could read and write. Edward, Thomas and Patrick were listed as being farmers, Maria, a farmer’s wife, Hanoria (sic), housework and Agnes was listed as being a farm assistant. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling and Edward Bodkin was the landholder.
Ruth Dockrey – Application No. C/17 7025. The application was received on 11/09/1917 and Ruth’s address at that time was given as Mrs Ruth Moran, 34 High Street, Worthing, Sussex. Her parent’s names were given as John and Monica Dockrey. The 1851 address was given as Gleninagh, in the Parish of Ballynakill, in the Barony of Ballynahinch, Co. Galway. In the left hand margin there were handwritten notes of names and they were Mary Anne, John, Jane, Anna Maria and Thomas. The search was returned on 16/01/1918 with the note “not found”.
Barbara Conroy or Conry – Application No. C/16 818. The application was received on 28/01/1916. Barbara’s address at that time was given as Mrs Barbara Conroy c/o P. Fogarty, Clifden Co. Galway. Her Parent’s names were given as Patrick and Ellen Conroy (Mannion). The residence in 1851 was given as Gleninagh, Kylemore, in the Parish of Ballynakill, in the Barony of Ballynahinch, Co. Galway. In the left hand margin there were handwritten notes saying Patrick, Barbara, Bridget, Thomas, Mary, Nora, John and Ellen. A copy was dispatched to the applicant on 22/02/1916.
The 1670 Down Survey names for this area were Keilemore, Glancarbdemore, Gortnefunshine, Rossynelee and Shanaharaghane. The owner in 1641 was Edmund O’Flaharty, a Catholic and in 1670 the owner was James Darcy, also a Catholic.
[i] In the 1911 census a lot of the members of this family that were still alive spoke both Irish and English.