Civil Parish: Ballynakill
Church Parish: Letterfrack
District Electoral Division: Rinvyle
Area: 732.03 acres / 732 acres, 0 roods, 4 perches
Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Lemnaheltia (no records)
Overview of Lemnaheltia in 1911
According to the 1911 census for this area, there was only 1 house in Lemnaheltia. The house was a private dwelling that was built of stone, brick or concrete walls and thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. It was a 2nd class dwelling with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. There were 2 out buildings, a cow house and a piggery. There were a total of 5 people living there, 4 male and 1 female. The enumerator was Const. Thos. Casey.
Coyne (additional surname: Conroy)
The head of the only family in Lemnaheltia at this time was Peter (32) had been married to his wife, Belindia (sic) (33) for 5 years and they had had 2 children and both had survived. They lived with those 2 children, Patrick (4) and John (2) and also a servant, Pat Conroy (18). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Peter and Belindia (sic) both spoke both Irish and English with the rest of the household speaking only English. Peter, Belindia (sic) and Pat could read and write and the 2 children could not read. Peter was listed as being a shepherd and landholder and Pat was a general servant. They shared a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling and they had a cow house and a piggery. The landholder was the Duke of Manchester.
Overview of Lemnaheltia in 1901.
According to the 1901 census there was only 1 house in this townland at that time. It was listed as a private dwelling and was constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. It was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and 2 windows.
The head of the only family in Lemnaheltia at this time was the widower John (63) who lived with 4 of his children, Peter (19), Philip (16), Martin (9) and Annie (21). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. John spoke both Irish and English and the rest of the family spoke only English. Apart from John, they could all read and write. John was recorded as being a shepherd, Peter and Philip were labourers, Martin was a scholar and Annie was listed as doing housework. They all shared a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and Mitchel Henry was the landholder.
According to the Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864), St John L. Clowes leased a herds house on 736 acres and 3 perches of land from Robert J. Wilberforce for £10 for the land and 5s for the herds house.
Other names that this area was known by in the 1670 Down Survey were Keilemore, Glancarbdemore, Gortnefunshine, Rossynelee and Shanaharaghane. The 1641 owner was Edmund O’Flaharty and the 1670 owner was James Darcy, both of whom were Catholics.