Bunowen

Bun Abhann

Roger Harrison / Forum Connemara

My location
Get Directions

Townland:                                   Bunowen

Civil Parish:                                 Ballynakill

Barony:                                        Ballynahinch

Church Parish:                           Letterfrack

District Electoral Division:     Cushkillary

Area:                                      1462.95 acres / 1462 acres, 3 roods, 31 perches

 

Baptism and Marriage records for Letterfrack R.C. Parish 1821-1881

Map

Galway Library for Bunowen

Logainm for Bunowen

NUI Galway Digital Collections for Bunowen

 

 

1911 Census for Bunowen

Overview of Bunowen in 1911.

There was only the 1 building listed in the 1911 census for Bunowen. That was listed as a private dwelling with stone, brick or concrete walls and stone, iron or tile roofing. It had 2 rooms with 3 windows in the front and had 3 out offices and farm steadings and was occupied as a 2nd class dwelling. The farm-steadings were a stable, cow house and piggery. There were a total of 5 persons, 3 males and 2 females. The enumerator was Act. Serg. Patrick Phelan.

 

 

Keane

In the 1911 census there was 1 household in the townland of Bunowen occupied by the Keane family. Philip (75) was the head of the family and with his wife Mary (75) they had had 8 children of which 7 survived and at the time of this census they had 3 of their children living with them. They had been married for 45 years in 1911. Living with them were their daughter Annie (40), and sons Thomas (38) and Martin (30), all of whom where unmarried. All the family had both Irish and English language although only Annie could read and write. Philip is listed as a farmer and both Thomas and Martin listed as farmers sons. They occupied a 2nd class, 4 room dwelling. The census return was collected on 05/04/1911.

 

 

1901 Census for Bunowen

Overview of Bunowen in 1901.

There was on 1 house listed in the 1901 census for Bunowen. It was listed as a private dwelling with stone, brick or concrete walls and a thatch, wood or other perishable material for a roof. It had 2 rooms with 1 window in the front and had 3 out offices and farm-steadings. It was occupied as a 3rd class dwelling and C. H. Thompson was the landholder. There were 5 persons listed, 3 males and 2 females.

 

Keane

In the 1901 census there is only one household listed in the townland of Bunowen occupied by the Keane family. Head of the family was Philip (62) and, with his wife Mary (62), they had 3 of their children living with them. The children were Thomas (20), John (18) and Annie (16). All could speak both Irish and English but only John and Annie could read and Annie was the only one who could also write. None of the children were married. Philip’s occupation is listed as Herd with Thomas and John being listed as herds son and Annie as Herds daughter. All were Roman Catholic.

 

 

Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Bunowen

Thomas Sullivan – Application No.: D10 20766. Thomas Sullivan applied for his pension on 19/09/1910. Thomas’ parents are listed as Thomas and Catherine Sullivan and resided with John and Mary Joyce in 1841. The residence is listed as Bunowen, Co. Galway in the civil parish of Ballynakill in the Barony of Ballynahinch. On 02/10/1910 it is recorded that there were no returns of any Sullivans’

 

 

Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) for Bunowen

According to Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) Alexander Thompson leased tenements to Michael Gibbons, Michael McDaniel, Philip Faherty and Marcus S. Blackden. Alexander Thompson retained a herd’s house and an area of land of 1320 acres, 3 roods and 25 perches for which he paid a total annual valuation rate of £53. Michael Gibbons paid an annual rate of 10s for a house and office. Michael McDaniel paid an annual rate of 10s for a house. Philip Faherty paid an annual rate of £1 for a house and an area of land consisting of 3 acres, 3 roods and 5 perches. Marcus S. Blackden paid an annual rate of £1 for an area of land (bog) consisting of 114 acrea, 2 roods and 9 perches. There was also an area of water with an area of 13 acres, 0 roods and 20 perches.

 

 

1670 Down Survey for Bunowen

In the 1670 Down Survey, Bunowen was known by other names, these being, Keilemore, Glancarbdemore, Gortnefunshine, Rossynelee and Shanaharaghane. In 1641 the owner was Edmund O’Flaharty and in 1670 James Darcy, both were Catholic.

This page was added on 17/07/2018.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *