Illion

An Uillinn

Roger Harrison / Forum Connemara

Townland:                                 Illion

Civil Parish:                              Ballynakill

Barony:                                     Ballynahinch

Church Parish:                         Ballynakill

District Electoral Division:    Illion

Area:                                          475 acres, 2 roods, 8 perches

 

Baptism and Marriage records for Letterfrack R.C. Parish 1821-1886

Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Illion (no records)

Map

Galway Library for Illion

Logainm for Illion

NUI Galway Digital Collections for Illion

 

1911 Census for Illion

Overview of Illion in 1911.

There was just 1 house in Illion in 1911 and it was listed as being a private dwelling that was constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing.

 

Walsh

The head of the only household in Illion was Michael (40) who had been married to Mary (35) for 12 years, during which time they had had 4 children, Mary (10), Bridget (9), Anne (6) and Barbara (2). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Michael, Mary (35), Mary (10) and Bridget spoke Irish and English and Mary (35) could read only. Michael was a farmer and Mary (10) and Bridget were scholars. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they had a cow house and a piggery. The landholder was Michael Walsh.

 

1901 Census for Illion

Overview of Illion in 1901.

There was just 1 house in Illion in 1911 and it was listed as being a private dwelling that was constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing.

 

Walsh

The head of the only household in Illion was Micheal (65) who was married to Mary (60) and they shared the house with 2 sons, Micheal (22) and Martin (19) and a daughter-in-law, Mary (19). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English but none of the family could read. Micheal (65) was a farmer, Mary (60) was a farmer’s wife, Micheal (22) and Martin were farmer’s sons and Mary (19) was a farmer’s daughter-in-law. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 2 rooms and the landholder was Micheal Walsh.

 

Griffiths Valuation (1847-1864) for Illion

Three tenants shared 477 acres, 3 roods and 10 perches of land in the townland of Illion and the immediate lessors were the Directors of the Law Life Assurance Company.

 

Plot 1: William Lyden paid £4 for land, John Lyden paid £2 13s for land and Michael Kerrigan paid £1 7s for land.

 

1670 Down Survey for Illion

The Down Survey name for this area was The Iland of Ruo Illan. The owner in 1641 was the Catholic Edmund O’Flaharty and in 1670 the owner was Richard, Earl of Westmeath, also a Catholic. There were 22 plantation acres of profitable land and those 22 plantation acres were forfeited.

This page was added on 26/06/2020.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *