Civil Parish: Ballynakill
Church Parish: Letterfrack
District Electoral Division: Cushkillary
Area: 538.76 acres / 538 acres, 3 roods, 1 perch
Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Tooreenacoona (no records)
Overview of Tooreenacoona in 1911.
The 1911 census lists 2 households in Tooreenacoona, both Mannions and consisting of 9 people, 4 male and 5 female. Both houses had stone, brick or concrete walls with thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. Both were 3rd class houses with house 1 having 2 rooms and 1 window in the front and house 2 having 2 rooms and 2 windows. There was a total of 2 cow houses and a stable. The enumerator was Act. Serg. Patrick Phelen.
Mannion (additional surnames: King)
The head of the Mannion family in this house was James (76) who had been married to his wife Maria (75) for 56 years. They’d had 6 children of which 5 survived. Living with them in the house was their granddaughter Annie King (13). James and Maria had both Irish and English while Annie only had English as a language and only Annie could read and write. All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. James was a retired farmer and Annie a scholar. They lived in a 3rd class, 2 roomed house with a cow house. James Mannion was the landholder.
House 2 also housed a Mannion family. Head of this family was Patrick (37) and his wife Bridget (38) who had been married for 10 years and had had 4 children. Their 4 children were Mary (9), Bridget (4), Thomas (2) and Michael (4mths). Bridget (4), Thomas and Michael only had English as a language but Patrick, Bridget (38) and Mary had both Irish and English. Patrick and Bridget (38) could read and write and Mary could read only. All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Patrick was a farmer, Bridget (38) a housekeeper and Mary a scholar. They lived in a 3rd class, 2 roomed house with a stable and a cow house. Patrick Mannion was the landholder.
Overview of Toorenacoona in 1901.
There was only the 1 house in tooreenacoona in 1901 and it was listed as a private dwelling. It had Stone, brick or concrete walls and thatch, wood or other perishable materials for a roof. It was a 2nd class house that had 2 rooms and 3 windows. There were a total of 5 people, 2 male and 3 female.
The only household listed in the 1901 census for Tooreenacoona was that for the Mannion family. Head of the family was James (60) and his wife Mary (60). Sharing the house were their children Patrick (27) and Nora (25) and their granddaughter Annie (3). All are listed as having both Irish and English as a language except Annie. Mary, Patrick and Nora could read and write. All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. James is listed as being a farmer, Patrick a farmer’s son and Nora a farmer’s daughter. They lived in a 2nd class, 3 roomed house and James was the landholder.
According to the Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) Thomas Eastwood leased a house and land to each of Patrick Walsh and Bartholomew Keane. They each paid £4 5s for their share of the land and 5s for their houses. The combined land area was 539 Acres, 3 Roods and 1 Perch.
The 1670 Down Survey names for the area were Logetirne & Tuorin Icoony. The 1641 owner was the earl of Clanrickard who was a Protestant and the owners in 1670 were Richard Martin, a Catholic and The earl of Clanrickard.