Civil Parish: Ballynakill
Church Parish: Letterfrack
District Electoral Division: Cleggan
Area: 289.01 acres / 289 acres, 0 roods, 1 perch
Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Shanboolard (no records)
Overview of Shanboolard in 1911
There was only the house in Shanboolard in 1911. The house was constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and slate, iron or tiled roof. It was a 1st class dwelling with 6 rooms and 7 windows in the front. It had 3 stables, a coach house, 2 harness rooms, 2 cow houses, 3 calf houses, a dairy, a piggery, 3 fowl houses, a boiling house, a barn, a turf house, 2 potato houses, 6 sheds, 2 stores, a forge and a laundry. There were a total of 5 people living in the townland, 2 male and 3 female. 2 of the females were Roman Catholic and 1 was Protestant while both the males were Protestant. The enumerator was Const. Edmund Moloney.
Trullock (additional surnames: Fisher, King, McDonnell, Newsome and Eades)
Head of this family is listed as Catherine but no other information is listed for her. Also in the house were 5 servants Harriet Fisher (54) who was married and had been for 20 years, Bridget King (18), Bridget McDonnell (15), Thomas Newsome (31) and William Eades (24). The 2 Bridget’s were Roman Catholic, Harriet was Irish Church and Thomas and William were Church of Ireland. Harriet and Thomas were born in Co. Wicklow, the 2 Bridget’s were born in Co. Galway and William was born in Co. Dublin. All could read and write, The 2 Bridget’s spoke both |Irish and English but nothing was entered for the others which could indicate that they spoke only English. Harriet is listed as a cook (domestic servant), Bridget King, a house maid (domestic servant), Bridget McDonnell, a kitchen maid (domestic servant), Thomas, a gardener (domestic servant) and William, a groom (domestic servant). The house was a 6 roomed, 1st class dwelling with 3 stables, a coach house, 2 harness rooms, 2 cow houses, 3 calf houses, a dairy, a piggery, 3 fowl houses, a boiling house, a barn, a turf house, 2 potato houses, 6 sheds, 2 stores, a forge and a laundry. The landholder was Catherine Tullock.
Overview of Shanboolard in 1901.
There was only 1 house recorded in Shanboolard in the 1901 census. The house was constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls with slate, iron or tiled roofing. It was a 1st class dwelling with 6 rooms and 7 windows in the front. According to the enumerators return there were 11 people living there, 2 male and 9 female. 2 male and 2 female were Roman Catholic and the others were Protestant. The enumerator was Const Thos O’Grady.
Armstrong-Lushington-Tullock (additional surnames: Graham, Fisher, Coyne, Boardman, May, Courcey, Patterson, McDonnell and Conneely)
Head of this family was Kate Mary (45), a widow, and with her in the house was her daughter Edna (18), her sister, Minna Graham (43) and 7 servants. Those servants were Harriot Fisher (48), Mary Coyne (40), Ellen Boardman (30), Lilly May (20), Mary Anne Courcey (19), Michael McDonnell (27) and Patrick Conneely (22) along with a visitor’s servant, Eliza Jane Patterson (25). Mary Kate, Edna and Minna were Church of England, Harriot, Ellen, Lilly and Eliza Jane were Church of Ireland and the others were Roman Catholic. Kate May and Minna were born in India, Edna was born in America, Harriot was born in Co. Wicklow, Mary, Mary Anne, Michael and Patrick were born in Co. Galway. Ellen was born in Co. Fermanagh, Lilly was born in Co. Kerry and Eliza Jane was born in Co. Leitrim. Apart from Mary Anne Courcey, the whole household could read and write. Mary, Mary Anne, Michael and Patrick spoke both Irish and English but there was nothing recorded for the others which may indicate that they only spoke English. Harriot was a cook domestic servant, Mary was a nurse domestic servant, Ellen was a parlour maid domestic servant, Lilly was a house maid domestic servant and Mary Anne was a kitchen maid domestic servant. Eliza Jane was a lady’s maid domestic servant, Michael was a coachman domestic servant and Patrick was a cowman domestic servant. The house was a 6 roomed, 1st class dwelling and the landholder was ? A.L. Tullock.
According to Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) the land in Shanboolard was owned by Edward Whitwell who leased a number of tenements. He had for himself houses and offices on a land area of 254 Acres and 28 Perches. He leased houses to John Conneely, Timothy Heaney and Michael Conway for 10s annually and to Valentine Conway, Patrick Heany and Patrick King for 5s annually. Michael Conway also leased 2 areas of land from Edward Whitwell. The first plot of land was of 2 Acres and 1 Rood for 7s and the second plot was of 7 Acres and 2 Roods for £3 3s. There were also 19 Acres, 1 Rood and 26 Perches of water.
The 1670 Down Survey name for this area was Shanballyard. The 1641 owner was the Catholic Edmund O’Flaharty and the 1670 owner was the Protestant Francis Browne. There were 139 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 50 plantation acres of profitable land and 50 plantation acres of land were forfeited.