Finnisglin

Fionasclainn

Roger Harrison / Forum Connemara

My location
Get Directions

Townland:                                 Finnisglin

Civil Parish:                               Ballynakill

Barony:                                      Ballynahinch

Church Parish:                          Letterfrack

District Electoral Division:     Bencorr

Area:                                       1075.14 acres / 1075 acres, 0 roods, 22 perches

 

Baptism and Marriage records for Letterfrack R.C. Parish 1821-1881

Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) for Finnisglin (Ballynakill) (no records)

Map

Galway Library for Finnisglin (Ballynakill)

Logainm for Finnisglin (Ballynakill)

NUI Galway Digital Collections for Finnisglin (Ballynakill)

 

1911 Census for Finnisglin (ballynakill)

Overview of Finnisglin (Ballynakill) in 1911.

The 1911 census shows that there were 5 houses in Finnisglin and that they were all occupied and listed as being private dwellings. All of them were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and house 1 had slate, iron or tiles for roofing and the rest had on thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. House 1was a 1st class dwelling, house 3 was a 2nd class and the rest were all 3rd class dwellings. Houses 2, 4 and 5 had 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front, house 3 had 2 rooms and 3 windows and house 1 had 6 rooms and 14 windows. The out-offices and farm-steadings return (form B2) show that there were a total of 7 out buildings in the townland consisting of a stable, 3 cow houses, a piggery, a fowl house and a motor house. According to the enumerator’s abstract return (Form N) there a total of 27 people in Finnisglin at that time, 14 male and 13 female. The enumerator for the area was Const. Thomas Casey.

 

Ireland

The sole occupant of house 1 was Mary Anne (65). She was a Roman Catholic and was born in Longford. She could read and write but there was nothing entered under the Irish Language heading so that could indicate that she only spoke English. He occupation was listed as being a caretaker and she lived in a 6 roomed, 1st class dwelling and Richard R. Berridge was the landholder.

 

Joyce

The Joyce family in house 2 consisted of 9 people and the head of the family was Stephen (56). Stephen had been married to Anne (55) for 16 years and in that time they had had 8 children and 7 of those had survived. Those 7 children lived in the house with them and they were Patrick (15), John (14), Mary (12), Bridget (10), Anne (8), Julia (3) and Barbara (9mths). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English except Julia and Baby Barbara. Only Patrick could read and write, although, John, Mary and Bridget could read but the others could not read. Stephen was a farmer, Patrick was a farmer’s son and John, Mary and Bridget were scholars. They all lived in a 2 roomed 3rd class dwelling and Stephen Joyce was the landholder.

 

Walsh

The head of the Walsh family was Peter (50) and he had been married to Anne (40) for 14 years and in that time they had had 8 children and 5 of those had survived. Those 5 children lived with them and they were Bridget (13), Thomas (11), Patk (sic) (9), Richard (5) and Peter (3). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Peter (50) Anne, Bridget and Thomas all spoke both Irish and English and there was nothing entered for the others which could indicate that they only spoke English. Anne, Bridget and Thomas could read and write, Patk (sic) could read only and the rest could not read. Peter (50) was a farmer, Bridget was a farmer’s daughter and Thomas, Patk (sic) and Richard were scholars. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling and the landholder was Peter Walsh.

 

Walsh                          (additional surname: Joyce)

The head of this Walsh family in house 4 was Michael (50) and he was married but there was no wife mentioned in this census. He lived with 4 of his sons, Patk (sic) (10), John (7), Michael Henry (4) and Thomas (2). Also in the house wee 2 relatives, Mary Joyce (77), who had been married for 40 years and had had 1 child, and Sarah Joyce (14). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Michael, Patk (sic) and John spoke both Irish and English and the rest had nothing recorded for them so that could indicate that they only spoke English. John could read only, Patk (sic) and Sarah could read and write and the other members of the family could not read. Michael was a farmer, Sarah was a domestic servant and Patk (sic), John and Michael Henry were scholars. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and Michael Walsh was the landholder.

 

Walsh

The head of the family in the last house in Finnisglin was Patrick (66) and he had been married to Bridget (60) for 27 years and in that time they had had 2 children but only 1 had survived and that was Bridget (18), who also lived in the house. All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English Patrick could read and the 2 Bridgets could both read and write. Patrick was listed as being a farmer. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and Patrick Walsh was the landholder.

 

1901 Census for Finnisglin (Ballynakill)

Overview for Finnisglin (Ballynakill) in 1901.

The 1901 census shows that there were 5 houses in the townland with house 5 being unoccupied but the landholder was listed as being Mr. Berridge. Houses 1-4 were listed as being private dwellings. All the houses were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and house 1 had slate, iron or tiles for roofing with the others having only thatch, wood or other perishable materials. House 1 was a 1st class dwelling and the others were all 2nd class. House 1 had 5 rooms and 10 windows in the front and the other houses all had 2 rooms and 3 windows. The enumerator’s abstract return (form N) shows that there were a total of 18 people living in the townland, 9 male and 9 female. The enumerator was Const. Thomas Burke.

 

Walsh

The head of the family in house 1 was Pat (40) and he was married to Bridet (sic) (36) and they lived with 2 of their daughters, Mary Anne (14) and Bridget (13). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English but only Bridet (sic) and Mary Anne could read and write. Pat was a farmer and Mary Anne was a scholar. They all lived in a 5 roomed, 1st class dwelling and the landholder was listed as Berridge.

 

Walsh                          (additional surname: Kane)

The head of this Walsh family was Michael (35) and he was married to Bridget (25) and they lived with their son Patrick (9mths) and a servant, Michael Kane (17). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English except baby Patrick and only Michael Kane could read and write. Michael (35) was listed as a farmer, Bridget was a farmer’s wife and Michael Kane was a domestic servant. They all lived in 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling and Michael Walsh was the landholder.

 

Joyce

The head of the Joyce family in house 3 was Stephen (40) and he was married to Anne (30). They shared the house with their 3 children, Patrick (5), John (4) and Mary (6mths). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Stephen and Anne both spoke both Irish and English but there was nothing entered for the others. None of the family could read or write. Stephen was a farmer and Anne was a farmer’s wife. They all lived in a 2 roomed 2nd class dwelling and the landholder was Stephen Joyce.

 

Walsh                          (additional surname: Kelly)

The head of the last occupied house in Finnisglin was Peter (30) and he was married to Mary (22) and they shared the house with 2 of their children, Thomas (1) and Bridget (2) and also in the house at that time was a boarder, Mary Kelly (60). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All the adults spoke both Irish and English but only Mary could read and write. Peter was listed as a farmer, Mary, a farmer’s wife and Mary Kelly was a domestic servant. They lived in a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling and Peter Walsh was the landholder.

 

Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Finnisglin (Ballynakill)

Anne Mannion – Application No. C/22 1325. The application was received on 07/03/1922 and Anne’s address at that time was given as Mr. Martin Gibbon, 59 Walter Street, Barrow on Tyne, England. Her parent’s names were given as Michael and Elegth[i] (sic) Mannion (Heaney). The search was returned on 09/03/1922 with the words “not found”.

1670 Down Survey for Finnisglin (Ballynakill)

The 1670 Down Survey name for this area was Finishlagh. The 1641 owners of this land were Moyler McRickard Shoy and Murragh McBryan O’Flaharty, both Catholics and in 1670 the owners were Richard Martin, a Catholic and John Hawes, a Protestant. There were 457 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 30 plantation acres of profitable land and 30 plantation acres were forfeited.

[i] Name difficult to read.

This page was added on 11/06/2018.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *