Civil Parish: Ballynakill
Church Parish: Letterfrack
District Electoral Division: Ballynakill
Area: 139.00 acres / 138 acres, 3 roods, 39 perches
Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Ross (no records)
Overview of Ross in 1911
There was only dwelling registered in the 1911 census. It was constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and slate, iron or tiles for roofing. It was a 1st class dwelling with6 rooms and 8 windows. There were a total of 22 out buildings consisting of 3 stables, a coach house, a harness room, 2 cow houses, 3 calf houses, a dairy, a piggery, a fowl house, a boiling house, 2 barns, a turf house, a potato house, 2 sheds, a store and a laundry. There were a total of 9 people, 4 male and 5 female. The enumerator was Const. Edmund Moloney.
Seton (additional surnames: Snow, Fortune, Courcey, Beggy and Darcy)
The head of the Seton family was George (48) and his wife Louisa Young Seton (36) who had been married for 6 years and had had 2 children both of which survived. Living in the house with them at that time were their 2 children Alexander George (3) and Archibald Baron (1). Also in the house were 5 servants, Charles Snow (20), Bridget Josephine Fortune (33), Mary Anne Courcey (28), Mary Christina Beggy (21) and Mary Ellen Darcy (15). All, except the Alexander George and Archibald Baron, could read and write. Only Mary Anne is listed under the language column as speaking both Irish and English, this possibly means the others could only speak English. George Seton was a member of the Presbyterian Protestant Established Ch Scot, Louisa Young was a member of the Protestant Episcopalian Church of Ireland, Alexander George and Archibald Baron were Church of Ireland and the others were Roman Catholic. George was born in Scotland, Louisa Yong was born in Kings Co.[i], Alexander George and Archibald Baron were born in Dublin and Charles Snow was born in England. Bridget Josephine was born in Wexford, Mary Anne was born in Co. Galway, Connemara, Mary Christina was born in Co. Meath and Co. Westmeath. George was recorded as an Argentine land owner, Charles was a Gardener D servant, Bridget Josephine was a nurse domestic servant, Mary Anne was a cook domestic servant, Mary Christina was a house parlour Maid domestic servant and Mary Ellen was a nurse maid domestic servant. The house was a 6 roomed, 1st class dwelling. The out buildings included 3 stables, a coach house, a harness room, 2 cow houses, 3 calf houses, a dairy, a piggery, a fowl house, a boiling house, 2 barns, a turf house, a potato house, 2 sheds, a store and a laundry. The landholder was Catherine Tullock.
Overview of Ross in 1901
There was only 1 dwelling in Ross in 1901 according to the census of that year. I was a building constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and slate, iron or tiled roof. It was a 1st class house with 5 rooms and 8 windows in the front. There were a total of 11 people, 4 male and 7 female. The enumerator was Const. Thomas O’Grady.
Davis (additional surnames: Blake, Cysser, Conlson, Murray, McLoughlin, Faherty, Ryan and MacKay)
Head of the Davis family was John (68) who was married to Gertrude (36) and they had 1 daughter living with them Ardlen (13). Also in the house at that time was a visitor, Maude Blake (2), a boarder Elie Cysser (sic) (21) and 6 servants, William Conlson (sic) (28), Bridget Murray (35), Norah McLoughlin (20), Stephen Faherty (17), Thomas Ryan (30) and Annie MacKay (30). All could read and write and Arden, Maude, Elie (sic), Norah and Stephen could speak both Irish and English but nothing was entered for the others, so that probably indicates that they only spoke English. Bridget, Norah, Stephen, Thomas and Annie were Roman Catholic and the rest were Church of Ireland. John and Bridget were born in Dublin, Gertrude was born in Co. Dublin, Maude was born in Galway, Elie (sic) was born in England, William was born in Durham, England. Norah and Stephen were born in Co. Galway, Thomas was born in Co. Tipperary and Annie was born in Wexford. John Davis was a retired general, Ardlen was a scholar, Maude was an artist, Elie was a governess, William was a butler, Bridget was a cook, Norah was a kitchen maid, Stephen was a groom, Thomas was a coachman and Annie was a house maid. The house was a 1st class, 5 roomed house and the landholder was W.A.L. Tullock.
According to the Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) Robert Graham leased tenements to a number of people and Thomas Y. Prior sub leased some tenements as well. Thomas Y. Prior leased 125 Acres, 1 Rood and 23 Perches from Robert Graham. This included houses and offices. The offices value was £10 but was not ratable until 1859. He paid £55 for the land and £15 for the buildings. He then kept a house for himself for a annual rate of 15s and leased land and buildings to Benjamin Tyrrell, Robert Marrow and James Caldwell. Benjamin and Robert leased a house and garden at a rate of 2s for the land and 18s for the houses each. The land area they leased was 10 Perches. James leased a house and offices at an annual rate of 15s. There were 3 vacant houses on the land that Thomas Y. Prior leased and those had an annual ratable valuation of £1, 15s and 10s. William Staunton and Lawrence Heany jointly leased 2 plots of land from Robert Graham. One plot was an area of 2 Roods and 35 Perches and the other was 2 Roods and 32 Perches. For the larger plot they paid 1s each and the smaller plot was 2s each. Bridget Conneely and Thomas and Martin Rowan jointly leased 2 Roods and 2 Perches of land for which Bridget paid 2s and Thomas and Martin paid 1s each. Richard Davis and John Coyne leased 2 plots of land from Robert Graham. The larger plot was 1 Acre, 1 Rood and 25 Perches and the other was 1 Acre, 1 Rood and 28 Perches. For the larger plot they paid 2s and the smaller plot 3s each. Michael Mongan leased 3 Acres, 2 Roods and 20 Perches of land from Robert Graham for 7s annually and Thomas Gannon leased 4 Acres, 2 Roods and 1 Perch for 10s annually.
The 1670 Down Survey name for this area was Rosse and Derrylahane. The 1641 owner was the Catholic Edmund O’Flaharty and the 1670 owner was Richard, Earl of Westmeath, also a Catholic. There were 83 plantation acres of unprofitable land and 87 plantation acres of profitable land. 87 plantation acres were forteited.
[i] County Offaly