Kanrawer

An Ceann Ramhar

Roger Harrison / Forum Connemara

Renvyle Castle is also known as O’Flaherty’s Castle and is situated in Kanrawer Townland in the electoral division of Rinvyle in north west Connemara. The Castle is a 13th-14th century tower house that, legend says, belonged to the Joyce Clan originally and was taken forcibly from them by the O’Flaherty’s when, during a wedding, they stormed the castle and massacred everyone there with the exception of one member of the Joyce Clan, who escaped to tell the story. The legendary Irish pirate queen Grace O’Malley (Granuaile Ni Mhaille) made the castle her home away from the sea when she married Donal O’Flaherty in about 1546. After Donal O’Flaherty was murdered, Grace O’Malley returned to the territory belonging to her family in Co. Mayo, while the O’Flaherty’s left the castle and moved to, what is now, the site of the Renvyle House Hotel. Some stories say that Grace O’Malley destroyed, at least some of, the castle with a canon fired from a ship out at sea. Because of the castles poor state of repair it not open to the public but can clearly be seen from the road.
Roger Harrison / Forum Connemara

Townland:                                  Kanrawer

Civil Parish:                                Ballynakill

Barony:                                       Ballynahinch

Church Parish:                          Letterfrack

District Electoral Division:     Rinvyle

Area:                                           69.78 acres / 69 acres, 3 roods, 4 perches

 

Baptism and Marriage records for Letterfrack R.C. Parish 1821-1881

1911 Census for Kanrawer (no records)

1901 Census for Kanrawer (no records)

Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Kanrawer (no records)

Map

Galway Library for Kanrawer

Logainm for Kanrawer

NUI Galway Digital Collections for Kanrawer

 

Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) for Kanrawer

According to Griffith’s Valuation (1947-1864), Ethelstane H. Blake leased a house on 70 acres, 1 rood and 12 perches of land from Henry Blake for £48 for the land and £4 for the house.

 

1670 Down Survey for Kanrawer

Other names that this area was known by in the 1670 Down Survey were Keilemore, Glancarbdemore, Gortnefunshine, Rossynelee and Shanaharaghane. The 1641 owner was Edmund O’Flaharty and the 1670 owner was James Darcy, both of whom were Catholics.

This page was added on 12/06/2018.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *