Civil Parish: Ballynakill
Church Parish: Letterfrack
District Electoral Division: Bencorr
Area: 528.34 acres / 528 acres, 1 rood, 13 perches
Baptism and Marriage records for Letterfrack R.C. Parish 1821-1881
Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Luggatarriff (no records)
Overview of Luggatarriff in 1911.
There was only the 1 house in the townland in 1911 according to the census of that year. The house was a private dwelling and was constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and 2 windows. The enumerator was Act. Serg. Patrick Phelan.
Connelly (additional surname: Walsh)
The head of this family was the widow Bridget (69), a widow, and she lived with her son, Michael (24) and 2 nieces, Mary Walsh (14) and Patrick Walsh (7). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English and Patrick could not read and the others could all read and write. Bridget was a herd’s wife, Michael was a shepherd and Mary and Patrick were scholars. They lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and they had a cow house, a piggery and a potato house. Bridget Connelly was the landholder.
Overview of Luggatarriff in 1901.
According to the 1901 census there was only 1 house in Luggatarriff at that time. The house was a private dwelling and was constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. It was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and 2 windows. The enumerator was Const. Patrick Flannery.
Conneely (additional surname: Walsh)
The head of this family was Michael (63) and he was married to Bridget (60). They shared the house with 3 of their children, Patrick, (27), Nora (16) and Michael (14) and also a niece, Mary Walsh (4). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English except Michael (14) and Mary Walsh. Bridget, Nora and Michael (14) could read and write but none of the others could read. Michael (63) was a herd, Bridget was a seamstress, Patrick and Michael were herd’s sons and Nora was a general servant domestic. They lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and Arthur Joyce was the landholder.
According to the Griffith’s valuation (1847-1864) John, Tobias and Thomas Joyce leased a herd’s house 526 acres, 1 rood and 7 perches of land from the Directors of the Law Life Assurance Co. for £7 15s for the land and 5s for the herd’s house.
The 1670 Down Survey names for Luggatarriff were Logetirne & Tuorin Icoony. The owner in 1641 was the Protestant Earl of Clanrickard and in 1670 the owners were the Catholic Richard Martin and the Protestant Earl of Clanrickard. There were 760 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 51 plantation acres of profitable land and 51 plantation acres were forfeited.