Civil Parish: Ballynakill
Church Parish: Letterfrack
District Electoral Division: Cushkillary
Area: 404.91 acres / 404 acres, 3 roods, 26 perches
Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Letterettrin (no records)
Overview of Letterettrin in 1911.
The 1911 census lists 4 houses in Letterettrin of which house 2 was uninhabited but the landholder was Captain Mack. There were 16 people, 10 male and 6 female. The enumerator was Patrick Phelan. All houses had stone, brick or concrete for walls and houses 1 and 2 having Slate, iron or tiles for roofing and houses 3 and 4 having thatch, wood or other perishable material. All houses were private dwellings. Houses 1 and 3 were 3rd class buildings with 2 rooms and 2 windows, house 2 was a 1st class house with 5 rooms and 6 windows but house 4 was a 4th class house with 1 room and no windows. The out office and farm-steadings return lists 1 stable, 2 coach houses, 3 cow houses, 2 piggeries, 2 fowl houses, 1 turf house and a shed.
House 1 in Letterettrin was that of the McDonnell family with 9 members. Head of the family was Michael (37) along with his wife Ellen (34) who had been married for 15 years and had had 8 children of which 7 survived. Their children were Patrick (13), Ellen (9), Katie (8), John (6), Philip (5), Michael (3) and Auntony (sic) (1). Michael (37), Ellen (34) and Patrick had both Irish and English language and the rest only had English. Michael (37), Ellen (34), Patrick, Ellen (9) and Katie could read and write but the others could not read. All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Michael’s occupation is listed as a caretaker, Ellen (34) a house keeper, Patrick a school boy and Ellen and Katie as school girls. The house as a 2nd class, 2 roomed dwelling with a fowl house. Captain Mack was the landholder.
The Keane family had 4 members in 1911. The head of the family was Thomas (42) who had been married to his wife May 42) for 12 years and they had had 3 children of which 2 had survived. Their children were Mary Agnes (8) and John (1). Thomas, Mary and Mary Agnes could speak Irish and English. Thomas could read, Mary and Mary Agnes could read and write and John could not read. Thomas, Mary and John were born in Co. Galway and Mary Agnes was born in America and all were Roman Catholic. Thomas was a farmer and Mary Agnes a scholar. Their house was a 3rd class, 2 roomed dwelling with a cow house, piggery and a shed and Thomas Keane was the landholder.
The second Keane family in Letterettrin was headed by Philip (46) who had been married to his wife Annie (34) for 4 years and had had 2 children but only 1 had survived. That child was Patrick (1). Philip and Annie had both Irish and English language and only Annie could read and write. All 3 were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Philip was a farmer. The house they occupied was a 4th class, 1 roomed dwelling with a cow house and a piggery. Philip was the landholder.
Ovweview of Letterettrin in 1901.
The 1901 census lists 3 buildings in Letterettrin although house 2 was uninhabited but the landholder was C.H. Thomson Esq, all are listed as private dwellings. The enumerator was Const. Patrick Flannery. There were a total of 5 people, 2 male and 3 female living there. The 2 inhabited houses had stone, brick or concrete for walls. House 1 Thatch, wood or other perishable material for roofing and house 3 had slate, iron or tiles. Both inhabited houses had 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front of the house, house 1 was a 3rd class dwelling with house 3 being 2nd class.
This McDonnell family was headed by the widow Mary (52) and with her in the house was her daughter Bridget (13). Both had Irish and English and could read and write. Both were born in Co. Galway and Roman Catholic. Mary was a farmer and Bridget a farmer’s daughter. Their house was a 3rd class, 2 roomed dwelling and the landholder was C.H. Thomson Esq.
In this McDonnell family the head of the family was Michael (29) and his wife Ellen (30) and their son Patrick (3). Michael and Ellen could speak both Irish and English and both could also read and write. All 3 were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Michael is listed as being a caretaker. The lived in a 2nd class, 2 roomed house and the landholder was C. H. Thomson Esq.
Alexander Thompson had an area of land for himself of 383 Acres, 1 Rood and 30 Perches at an annual ratable valuation of £9. He leased an area of 13 Acres, 0 roods and 30 Perches to Surgeon Wilde on which there was an unfurnished house. He paid £1 for the land. Also, there was an area of water of 3Acres, 0 Roods and 6 Perches.
The Down Survey name for Letterettrin was Glancrawe. The 1640 owner was Edmund O’Flaharty who was Catholic. In 1670, the owner was Sir Thomas Meredith who was a Protestant.