Civil Parish: Ballynakill
Church Parish: Letterfrack
District Electoral Division: Bencorr
Area: 1630.96 acres / 1630 acres, 3 roods, 34 perches
Overview of Letterbreckaun in 1911.
The census of 1911 shows that there was only the 1 house in the townland of Letterbreckaun and it was listed as being a private dwelling. The house was constructed of Stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable material for roofing. The house was a 3rd class dwelling and had 2 rooms but no windows. There were a total of 2 out buildings, a cow house and a potato house. There were a total of 7 people in the townland at that time, 2 male and 5 female according to the enumerator’s abstract return. The enumerator was A. S. Patrick Phelan.
Connolly (additional surname; Coyne)
The head of the only family in Letterbreckaun was Patrick (38) who was married to Mary (34) and had been for 9 years and in that time they had had 5 children and all of those children had survived. Four of those children were in the house at the time of the census and they were Bridget (6), Thomas (4), Mary (2) and Norah (1) and also in the house was a servant, Maggie Coyne (14). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Patrick, Mary (34) and Maggie all spoke both Irish and English while there was nothing entered for the others so that could indicate that they only spoke English. Only Maggie could read and write. Patrick was listed as being a herd and Maggie as a domestic servant. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and they had a cow house and a potato house. The landholder was Richard Berridge.
Overview of Letterbreckaun in 1901.
According to the 1901 census there was only 1 house in Letterbreckaun and it was occupied and was listed as a private dwelling. It was listed as having stone, brick or concrete walls and thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and 1 window. There were a total of 10 people living in the townland, 4 male and 6 female. The enumerator was Const. Patrick Flannery.
The head of the only family in Letterbreckaun was John (30) and he was married to Bridget (31) and they shared the house with 4 of their children, Patrick (7), Molly (5), Michael (3) and Sarah (1). Also in the house were 2 of John’s sisters, Sarah (20) and Anne (14), a brother, Martin (20) and John’s mother Sarah (58). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English except baby Sarah. Only John, Sarah (20), Anne and Sarah (58) could read and write. John and Martin were listed as being a herds, Patrick and Michael were listed as being herd’s sons, Molly, Sarah (20) and Sarah (1) were herd’s daughters and Anne was a herd’s sister. They all shared a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and John W. King was the landholder.
According to Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) Peter King leased a herd’s house on 1610 acres, 3 roods and 13 perches of land from the Directors of the Law Life Assurance Co. for £22 for the land and 15s for the house. There were 2 islands in Lough Inagh with an area of 3 roods and 24 perches of no agricultural value.
The 1670 Down Survey name for this area was Litterbrackan. The 1641 owner was Edmund O’Flaharty, a Catholic and in 1670 the owner was the Protestant, John Hawes. There were 549 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 48 plantation acres of profitable land and 48 plantation acres were forfeited.