Crump Island

Oileán Dá Chruinne

Roger Harrison / Forum Connemara

Townland:                                 Crump Island

Civil Parish:                               Ballynakill

Barony:                                      Ballynahinch

Church Parish:                          Letterfrack

District Electoral Division:     Cushkillary

Area:                                       79.87 acres / 79 acres, 3 roods, 18 perches

 

Baptism and Marriage records for Letterfrack R.C. Parish 1821-1881

Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Crump Island (no records)

Map

Galway Library for Crump Island

1670 Down Survey for Crump Island

Logainm for Crump Island

NUI Galway Digital Collections for Crump Island

 

 

1911 Census for Crump Island

Overview of Crump Island in 1911.

There was on 1 house listed in the towland of Crump Island in 1911. That was recorded as a private dwelling with stone, brick or concrete walls and a slate, iron or tiled roof. It had 2 rooms with 3 windows in the front and also had a total of 5 out offices and farm-steadings. It was occupied as a 2nd class dwelling with a cow house, calf house, barn potato house and store. Thee were a total of 5 persons living in the house, 4 male and 1 female.

 

O’Flaherty

The 1911 census lists only one household on Crump Island and occupied by the O’Flaherty Family. The family consisted of the head of the family James (72), and his children Charles (35), Catherine (23) and James (21) along with his grandson Michael Holleran (6). James (Snr), is listed as a widower. All could speaker both Irish and English with the exception of Michael Holleran, for whom there is no entry in that section. None of the family could read or write. James (Snr) is listed as a farmer and James (Jnr) and Charles listed as farmer’s son. Michael Holleran is listed as a Scholar.

 

 

1901 Census for Crump Island

Overwiew of Crump Island in 1901.

There was only house listed in the 1901 census for Crump Island. The house was listed as a private dwelling with stone, brick or concrete walls and slate, iron or tile roof. It had 2 rooms with 4 windows in the front and was occupied as a 2nd class dwelling. There were a total of 8 people, 3 male and 5 female.

 

O’Flaherty 

The 1901 census lists 1 household on Crump Island occupied by the O’Flaherty Family. The family consists of the head of the family, James (59), along with his wife, Mary (50). Living with them in the house they have their children Charles (24), Mary (20), Anne (16), Nappie[i] (15), Kate (13) and James (11). All had both Irish and English as a language and all, with the exception of James (Snr) could read and write. James (Snr) is listed as being a farmer and his son, Charles, is listed as being a fisherman. Anne, Nappie, Kate and James are listed as Scholars. They lived in a 2nd class, 3 roomed house and James O’Flaherty was the landholder. All were Roman Catholic.

 

 

Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) for Crump Island

According to Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) Fancis M.S. Taylor leased a Tenement to Ethelstane H. Blake. Ethelstane H. Blake had a herd’s house and land consisting of 63 Acres, 1 Rood and 8 Perches. An annual rate of £20 was put on the land and 5s on the building for total annual rate of £20 5s. Francis M.S. Taylor also own four Islands with no agricultural value of an area of 3 Roods and 22 perches.

 

[i] Nappy is a local name for Penelope

This page was added on 17/07/2018.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *