Civil Parish: Ballynakill
Church Parish: Letterfrack
District Electoral Division: Ballynakill
Area: 652.77 acres / 652 acres, 3 roods, 3 perches
1901 Census for Mweelin (no records)
Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Mweelin (no records)
Overview of Mweelin in 1911
According to the 1911 census there were 5 houses in Mweelin but only 1 was inhabited that being house 1. Information is only given for that house and it was constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and slate, iron or tiles for roofing. It was a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front. There was also a cow house. There were a total of 6 people, 4 male and 2 female. The enumerator was Const. Thomas Casey.
The only family in Mweelin in 1911 was the Conroy family of 6. Head of the family was Thomas (43), a widower who had had 7 children all of whom survived. Five of his children lived in the house with him and they were Mary Kate (17), Patrick (16), Ellen (10), John (8) and Thomas (4). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. With the exception of Thomas, all spoke both Irish and English and could read and write. Thomas was a head shepherd and Patrick was a scholar. Their house was a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling with a cow house. The landholder was the Duke of Manchester.
According to the Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) the Rev. Joseph Duncan had, for himself, 652 Acres, 3 Roods and 29 Perches of land, on which he had a herd’s house. The annual ratable valuation was £17 10s for the land and 10s for the herd’s house.
The name for this area in the 1670 Down Survey was Moyllyn. The 1641 owner was the Catholic Connor Oge O’Duan and in 1670 the owner was the Catholic Richard, Earl of Westmeath. There was 323 plantation acres of unprofitable land and a 35 plantation acres of profitable land. 35 plantation acres were forfeited.